Spring Jersey Recommendations

ibr17xvii
ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
Looking for recommendations for a jersey to be worn around this time of year that is inbetween a full on winter jacket & short sleeved summer gear.

I do tend to run quite cold so I wear long sleeves / warmers more often than not unless it's really tropical but I'm still wearing reasonably thick winter stuff at the minute (not the full on stuff though).

Ideally I'd like something that is not as thick as a winter jersey but not as thin as a summer jersey would be if it had long sleeves - if that makes sense.

Was looking at some of the DHB jerseys on Wiggle that reading the description may do the job if anyone has experience of those? Have had a couple of DHB jerseys in the past & I wasn't all that impressed TBH although that was a while ago so they have improved.

Don't want to spend a fortune although I don't mind lashing out if I know I'm gonna get the wear out of it.

Comments

• I use a Torm sportwool shortsleeve jersey between seasons, arm warmers and a baselayer. Gilet or windjacket over the top to start off if cold / weather changes.

• ibr17xvii

I use a Torm sportwool shortsleeve jersey between seasons, arm warmers and a baselayer. Gilet or windjacket over the top to start off if cold / weather changes.

They are merino wool I take it?

Never heard of them if I'm honest but will deffo take a look.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    I think some of the Rivelo stuff on SportPursuit tick the box where they're thin long sleeve but a little bit thicker than a summer jersey. Marketed as 'light' I think.

Not sure what stock they have at the moment but may be worth a quick look. If you're not familiar with SportPursuit they're a little bit SportsDirect in their marketing, in as much as a lot of the brands are in-house and the discounts should be taken with a pinch of salt.

That being said, I've bought several things from them, in-house brands or otherwise, and have no complaints.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Something really warm and a waterproof jacket.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I've got a Stolen Goat Orkaan short sleeve that I find really good, but maybe a bit more than DHB.
    https://stolengoat.com/product-category/mens/jerseys-tops/water-resistant-cycling-jerseys/
    It's got decent wind & water resistance and breathes well so with a thin base layer it's okay up to the high teens in temperature, but if you add a light gilet and arm warmers it's good for me down well into single figures as well.
  • ibr17xvii said:

I use a Torm sportwool shortsleeve jersey between seasons, arm warmers and a baselayer. Gilet or windjacket over the top to start off if cold / weather changes.

They are merino wool I take it?

Never heard of them if I'm honest but will deffo take a look.
    it's a merino polyester blend, I think torm.cc.

Original Raphaesque.
  • ibr17xvii

Something really warm and a waterproof jacket.

Welcome to spring in the UK :D
  • ibr17xvii
    singleton said:

I've got a Stolen Goat Orkaan short sleeve that I find really good, but maybe a bit more than DHB.
    https://stolengoat.com/product-category/mens/jerseys-tops/water-resistant-cycling-jerseys/
    It's got decent wind & water resistance and breathes well so with a thin base layer it's okay up to the high teens in temperature, but if you add a light gilet and arm warmers it's good for me down well into single figures as well.

I was actually just on their website as I've always fancied something by them. Their designs are usually a bit different.

Not cheap though but if I'm gonna wear it a lot it's worth the investment.
  • ibr17xvii
    nibnob21 said:

I think some of the Rivelo stuff on SportPursuit tick the box where they're thin long sleeve but a little bit thicker than a summer jersey. Marketed as 'light' I think.

Not sure what stock they have at the moment but may be worth a quick look. If you're not familiar with SportPursuit they're a little bit SportsDirect in their marketing, in as much as a lot of the brands are in-house and the discounts should be taken with a pinch of salt.

That being said, I've bought several things from them, in-house brands or otherwise, and have no complaints.

Somebody else I've never heard of to investigate.

Cheers.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    I don't have any Torm jerseys, but also running cold like you, and having tried some of the Isadore merino wool blend summer jerseys, I was very impressed with how they regulated temperature well imho.
    I have some Dotout ones as well - and they are awesome.
    Sadly now ordering these two brands can prove rather expensive with the import fees and admin charges - Wiggle/CRC have stocked them in the past, but last I checked the stock was massively depleted.

Torm have a great reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to look at them personally if I were in the market - pretty sure they have recently released a raft of new designs as well.

I also have an Ale ls jersey which sadly no longer seems to be available, but it's pretty much as you describe, long sleeves, thin but not summer jersey thin, just in the middle.
    I can wear it on it's own over a base layer, or as a layer under a jacket/rain jacket etc.

Unfortunately I find a lot of the descriptions leave a lot to be desired, so you often can't tell what thickness a garment is until it arrives, so be prepared to send some items back until you find the one you want.

Good luck!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Torm is what I would have said.

I also have a baselayer that has a windproof panel on the front. Quite impressive how much that extends the temperature range of a standard jersey when paired with some arm warmers.

https://www.merlincycles.com/craft-active-extreme-x-wind-ss-m-base-layer-201372.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=121485&source=PHG
  • daniel_b
    mrb123 said:

Torm is what I would have said.

I also have a baselayer that has a windproof panel on the front. Quite impressive how much that extends the temperature range of a standard jersey when paired with some arm warmers.

https://www.merlincycles.com/craft-active-extreme-x-wind-ss-m-base-layer-201372.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=121485&source=PHG

Good shout, or even a gilet over the top could be of use, as also then stashable.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    daniel_b said:

I don't have any Torm jerseys, but also running cold like you, and having tried some of the Isadore merino wool blend summer jerseys, I was very impressed with how they regulated temperature well imho.
    I have some Dotout ones as well - and they are awesome.
    Sadly now ordering these two brands can prove rather expensive with the import fees and admin charges - Wiggle/CRC have stocked them in the past, but last I checked the stock was massively depleted.

Torm have a great reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to look at them personally if I were in the market - pretty sure they have recently released a raft of new designs as well.

I also have an Ale ls jersey which sadly no longer seems to be available, but it's pretty much as you describe, long sleeves, thin but not summer jersey thin, just in the middle.
    I can wear it on it's own over a base layer, or as a layer under a jacket/rain jacket etc.

Unfortunately I find a lot of the descriptions leave a lot to be desired, so you often can't tell what thickness a garment is until it arrives, so be prepared to send some items back until you find the one you want.

Good luck!

I've already done this a few times!
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2021
    Ha, fair enough!

I found the model of that Ale jersey - and back in the day when 'bargains' were to be had it cost me £68:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ale-piuma-long-sleeve-jersey

Alas I do not know if there is a direct replacement, but if you can find one, I think it could well be what you are after - they are a fitted jersey just to warn you.
    Recommended temp according to their site - 12-18.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2021
    How about this one: https://sigmasports.com/item/Ale/PR-S-Hexa-DWR-Long-Sleeve-Jersey/S73I?

Looks to be a bit warmer than the one I have.

Free returns with Sigma too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I have some Ale jerseys, and the nice thing is that their website gives weights of many of their jerseys and also temperature ranges. Whilst these may not be accurate for you, they do give you a way to compare their jerseys relative to each other.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ale jerseys are v v nice - I have an aero summer one and it clings to my ripped torso just so.

in your case how about just any jersey and a gilet on top?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2021
    Ale make the best fitting jerseys for me, think the quality for the cost makes them very good vfm - well they used to be anyway.

I have a few of their ss jerseys, ls jerseys, and jersey jacket things.
    The only thing of theirs I was not impressed with were some Air mitts - just not very good quality or that comfortable, so they were returned, and I saw other reviews of them along the same lines - hopefully just an abberation.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    daniel_b said:

How about this one: https://sigmasports.com/item/Ale/PR-S-Hexa-DWR-Long-Sleeve-Jersey/S73I?

Good shout going off what the description says which as you rightly point out isn’t always the best.

Might just send for that & see what it’s like.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

Ale jerseys are v v nice - I have an aero summer one and it clings to my ripped torso just so.

in your case how about just any jersey and a gilet on top?

I do have a thin Castelli vest / gilet & I’ve tried that with a summer jersey & armwarmers but I was still a wee bit chilly.

TBH I would probably wear the gilet over a spring jersey & take it off if I got too hot.

Not got anything by Ale but the stuff looks decent though.
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2021
    ibr17xvii said:

daniel_b said:

Good shout going off what the description says which as you rightly point out isn’t always the best.

Might just send for that & see what it’s like.
    Let us know what you make of it - if you wear any Castelli, I'd say Ale sizes a little bit smaller, probably half a size.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Decathlon, or Aldi.
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2021
    @ibr17xvii it is technically your fault that I have just ordered this from PBK - as I would not have been looking had you not posted :D

https://probikekit.co.uk/sports-clothing/ale-r-ev1-velocity-wind-g-long-sleeve-jersey/12720173.html?variation=12720174

Quite pricey, but came in at around £90 after discounts and cashback.

Hoping it will be similar to my other one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Long-sleeved Torm jerseys for me at this time of year (but that’s because I tend to head out at about 730 in the morning to work). Using either a LS or SS base layer depending on temps, and I might skip the base layer altogether for the return journey in the afternoon if it’s warmed up a lot. Good for 6-8 degrees up to about 16 degrees; if it’s going to be any warmer than that then I’ll use a SS Torm jersey.

Their merino wool blend is much better for temperature regulation than anything man-made I’ve ever tried.

Don’t ask how many Torm jerseys I’ve got. I think I counted a dozen at one point, but I’ve bought a couple more since then. No, there is no need to own that many; they don’t wear out (okay, my oldest has started to fray a bit at one sleeve cuff, and a second was cut off me in A&E, but the rest are all going strong). But Torm keep releasing new colours and styles that catch my eye :) Tomorrow I’m off out in my reflective-fronted bright Orange LS.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • And FWIW I’ve also got a Stolen Goat Orkaan. It’s a useless POS, managing to both let the rain straight in (despite it being supposedly somewhat water resistant) AND the wind cuts right through it. But somehow it also manages to be too hot, thanks to the fleecy lining :(
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • ibr17xvii
    daniel_b said:

@ibr17xvii it is technically your fault that I have just ordered this from PBK - as I would not have been looking had you not posted :D

https://probikekit.co.uk/sports-clothing/ale-r-ev1-velocity-wind-g-long-sleeve-jersey/12720173.html?variation=12720174

Quite pricey, but came in at around £90 after discounts and cashback.

Hoping it will be similar to my other one.

Nice!
  • daniel_b
    It arrived, it's luvverly. Great fit as usual, more wind resistant than the other one, so probably a bit more suited to colder temperatures, but not remotely a winter jersey which is what I was after.

It's a keeper though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    edited May 2021
    Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but the standard lapassione long sleeve jersey suits the spec (assuming they haven’t changed in the last 4 years)

Not the winter stuff.

• daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    Cheers for that @daniel_b

Not got round to ordering anything yet, got sidetracked with aero handlebars of all things :D