Zwift is better than nothing but still a bit boring I find

Anyone else feel this?

In the wet weather to continue to get fitter and lose weight I have been struggling with motivation to get onto my indoor bike. I was fine over winter but now it is summer season I just want to be out on the bike. I have a great set up on a AppleTV and a 50" LCD TV but, well, I get bored and find myself getting off after 8 miles. I never feel this way about heading outside on my bike and look forward to it all day.

I have done most of the rides now. Maybe I need to do more events maybe.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited May 2021
    You need to engage your inner racer. Either that or give the more realistic apps a trial.
    I much prefer that to the cartoon that is Zwift.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

Anyone else feel this?

In the wet weather to continue to get fitter and lose weight I have been struggling with motivation to get onto my indoor bike. I was fine over winter but now it is summer season I just want to be out on the bike. I have a great set up on a AppleTV and a 50" LCD TV but, well, I get bored and find myself getting off after 8 miles. I never feel this way about heading outside on my bike and look forward to it all day.

Race. It's the only thing that makes zwift different for me to being on a turbo with just a blank wall.

• Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose Posts: 90
    pblakeney said:

You need to engage your inner racer. Either that or give the more realistic apps a trial.

I'm not a racer mate on a bike, I am respectful of those more accomplished than me (i.e. most other riders) and I am very aware of my towering limitations. What I do have is stamina and base fitness. But that and tootling along does not seem to work so well indoors.

I take your point, maybe I need to get more competitive.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

pblakeney said:

I'm not a racer mate on a bike, I am respectful of those more accomplished than me (i.e. most other riders) and I am very aware of my towering limitations. What I do have is stamina and base fitness. But that and tootling along does not seem to work so well indoors.

Do some group rides then. Some of those are quite spicy.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154

pblakeney said:

Enter the cat D races and just pootle around waving or ringing your bell at everyone else. People love that >:)
    Group rides can be good but it 100% depends on who else is on there: The mid morning TdF rides last year were usually good with lots of banter and chat going on, but most others I tried have been duller than riding solo.

Another option - get a £100 bike and go out in the rain? Sometimes it's a laugh but you have to be in the right mood, and it helps when it's warm so you don't freeze to death.
  • kingstongraham

pblakeney said:

I'm not a racer either, and never have any ambition to win. But the concentration and unstructured efforts needed to stay with a group, or decide what to do when you get dropped makes it a really good workout.

There's always races appropriate for your level.
  • Kaiser Sose
    thistle_ said:

pblakeney said:

Enter the cat D races and just pootle around waving or ringing your bell at everyone else. People love that >:)
    Group rides can be good but it 100% depends on who else is on there: The mid morning TdF rides last year were usually good with lots of banter and chat going on, but most others I tried have been duller than riding solo.

Another option - get a £100 bike and go out in the rain? Sometimes it's a laugh but you have to be in the right mood, and it helps when it's warm so you don't freeze to death.
    I have my winter bike on my Wahoo trainer currently (and conversely I have my summer bike on it in winter). I might do what you suggest and buy a cheap bike for the trainer permanently so that I can bring my winter bike into commission for rainy days in all seasons. I just cannot get my head into Zwift when it is light nights outside.

I am not flaming Zwift at all, I think of it more a night-time-in-winter thing. We all think differently I know.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    edited May 2021
    Maybe try another app on the turbo instead of zwift.

I used to use the turbo through the winter, but never used zwift - I used sufferfest which had good structured training sessions.

Now I've sold the turbo, spent the money on winter clothing and I just get wet if it rains.
  • kingstongraham
    There are structured sessions on zwift too if that floats your boat.

I found just riding around on zwift very tedious too. Not my thing.

If you just want steady riding, just use whatever free app came with the turbo or none, save your money and watch a film while riding.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited May 2021
    I've never tried Zwift, but from what I have seen it looks very 'gamey' and the things like powerups and invisibility things do not appeal to me in the slightest.

I joined RGT (previously Road Grand Tours) a few years ago, but only seriously started using it at the beginning of last lockdown - I'm now a paid subscriber at £6.99 a month, but they have a free membership as well with limited options, but still the ability to join any group ride or race.

If you are a member you can also use their magic roads feature, where you send in a gpx file, and it converts it into a magic road for you, matching the points and elevation on your file basically.

It also has workouts, but as I am a TrainerRoad subscriber from back in the day, I tend to stick to those.

Do you like to watch any specific programs, or cycling for example?

I tend to watch something off of All4 Walter Presents, or tomorrow for example, I'll ride a 90 minute turbo over lunch, but have GCN+ on my bigger screen to watch the Giro, and trainer road on my smaller screen - that way I'm watching something I want to watch anyway, but getting in some free exercise.
    Being a workout, it controls the resistance, so I can't back off.

The other useful thing would be to have an event to aim for, something to keep you getting on the bike and improving your fitness.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I quite like the gamification of Zwift - you can never really get away from the fact you are sitting in your spare room etc. so the "more realistic" ones don't do anything for me really.

I use TrainerRoad for workouts, Zwift on for background. I've also been racing the Zwift Racing League, which is a team-based competition where you race in teams of 6 for points and there are league tables etc.. This is a lot better policed than open Zwift races as you can't enter them if you are too high a category etc.. The team-based aspect makes it a lot more appealing, since you have to really work together (especially in the team time trials) to do well.

As above I also often do my 90 minute TR sessions with a bike race on etc.

There are structured sessions on zwift too if that floats your boat.

I found just riding around on zwift very tedious too. Not my thing.

If you just want steady riding, just use whatever free app came with the turbo or none, save your money and watch a film while riding.

We were doing club rides on Zwift in proper lockdown. We still do some Saturday rides if the weather is bad. 2-3 hours chatting sh*t and riding round.

It is actually more sociable than a regular club ride as you can talk to everyone, rather than just the person next to you... I never thought I would spend that long on the turbo when I was just using TR, so I have to give it some credit for my all-time best figures. I also did some rides with a mate who lives about 200 miles away, and rode with some friends I hadn't seen face to face in years.

I am aware some of the bigger Zwift clubs do voice chat group rides but I've never joined. I've joined some of the pace rides before, there's a 90 minute 2.5 w/kg Wednesday ride which I used to join for some midweek Zone 2 (swapped back over to the IRL club ride now though...)
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited May 2021
    For me, just plodding along in z2 in Zwift for more than ~30mins is a real chore, i'd rather do rides like that outdoors for far longer duration.

I mainly focus on Zwift TTs and ERG workouts that do z 4/5/6 intervals that typically last 20-60mins, but from time to time I throw in the odd short race which I have even less chance than usual currently, having put on some pounds and lost a bit of power in the last few months... But sadly still just enough 20mins W/Kg to have to "compete" in B.

Must admit though I'm getting fed up with this extended winter turbo season due to cold/windy/wet weather up in the South Downs hills around Warnford, I'm not sure if I've done a 60min+ ride outdoors since a ~100Km ride in early March!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Have to say I really like Zwift for the winter but you deffo need to mix it up a bit.

I try to do a bit of racing, group rides, structured workouts , pace partners etc just to mix it up a bit.

Get the tunes on & it's decent.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 140
    ibr17xvii said:

Have to say I really like Zwift for the winter but you deffo need to mix it up a bit.

I try to do a bit of racing, group rides, structured workouts , pace partners etc just to mix it up a bit.

Get the tunes on & it's decent.

Planet Rock, all the way >:)

As well as the good advice above, I've been riding every other day very regularly since the new year. I find it's much easier to motivate myself instead of trying to do most days or every day. Also for motivation I do like signing up to the bigger events Zwift runs, now I've got most of the route badges that are less than about 90 mins at my pace.

The other option is one of their training plans, which will take you through several weeks of structured training... again, gives a real reason to get on and ride.

And having said all that, I've been putting my bike on and off the trainer a lot the last few weeks as I just can't pass up the nice days to go out on the road (and hopefully soon my new bike will turn up and I won't have to faff taking the old one on and off).
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444

Anyone else feel this?

Hi. Kaiser Sose,
    I’ve been feeling a bit like you ….. a bit Zwifted out! It’s not been helped by the recent poor weather here in Hampshire either!
    I recently got a new Watt Bike Atom which definitely helped the Zwift experience, but it’s been a long Winter.
    This past Saturday was wet again so I gave the FulGaz free trial a go. Wow! I did Col du Glandon first and was struck by how realistic it is to the real thing. I then did the Grasmere to Rydal ride which was great fun.
    I think I will take it up fully next Autumn, but also keep Zwift too.
    The free trial for 2 weeks is brilliant. No need to give bank account details and then remember to cancel. Recommended for something different!
    Looks like the weather will pick up week after next so here’s to more outdoor rides for all of us over the UK summer too!

• Kaiser Sose
    I have just looked at Fullgaz and it looks pretty much what I have been looking for - I will give it a go on the two week trial.
  • Kaiser Sose
    I just did Land's End to St Ives on Fullgaz on 100 realism and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • wrthompson88521FN8Ns
    edited October 2021
    I like Zwift, it can be competitive when you see someone creeping up behind and you up the power and you can see them trying to keep up as their W/KG goes up.

I'm a bit confused, I'm not fast but I just did a Harrogate lap, 8.7 miles, 263W average, 20.8 avg, the lap was just over 25mins.

I had a look at the leaderboard for today and some of the riders 6 mins quicker appeared to average up to 60W less, same when it comes to soke of the hilly segments, they're doing 10mph faster and appear to he using the amount of wattage I'd need to just be cruising through town.

I'm 81kg so not fat but not stick thin either.

Just seems like the gap is bigger than it should be?

And in another note, the workout is much harder than on the road, that 8.7 miles I felt I had a workout much better than I would have on the road..
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Try going into settings and lower your weight to 60kgs, just as a trial.
    You will then see why people go faster for lower watts.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes some of the weight stuff on zwift seems odd - 12 year olds dropping race fit adults - doesn't happen in real life.

Just planning on setting up zwift for my second Winter of it. Didn't bother with voice chat last year but think I might try that this time.

Also need a target to aim for but not sure what to go for. Racking up virtual awards doesn't really float my boat - I'd like to get to A cat but at 53 that may be (probably is) a stretch unless I get down to a weight I've not been for 20 years.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just been Zwifting and agree with OP - its far better than normal turbo training but it is very dull.

just whack something on the telly whilst doing it - makes it marginally less dull.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I have a Zwift free trial voucher somewhere but not used it. I just do the filmed rides (usually in 1080p HD video) on the Tacx Training app and find them mostly pretty good, and vastly preferable to grinding away on a dumb trainer at arbitrary resistance.

I got one this winter here because I was unable to get out riding much in daylight, and surprised myself by racking up about 1500km in the 3 months I've had it so far. Well worth the investment IMO.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

I like Zwift, it can be competitive when you see someone creeping up behind and you up the power and you can see them trying to keep up as their W/KG goes up.

I'm a bit confused, I'm not fast but I just did a Harrogate lap, 8.7 miles, 263W average, 20.8 avg, the lap was just over 25mins.

I had a look at the leaderboard for today and some of the riders 6 mins quicker appeared to average up to 60W less, same when it comes to soke of the hilly segments, they're doing 10mph faster and appear to he using the amount of wattage I'd need to just be cruising through town.

I'm 81kg so not fat but not stick thin either.

Just seems like the gap is bigger than it should be?

And in another note, the workout is much harder than on the road, that 8.7 miles I felt I had a workout much better than I would have on the road..

Groups travel much faster than individuals for the same watts, so those sat in the draft of a fast paced group will smash your solo time out of the park.
  • Oh that's good to know!

Do you think the training plans are useful and work? For example after a 25min ride Zwift set my FTP to 252 which does seem quite accurate for me.

I had a look at the FTP Builder that has me follow a daily routine for 4 weeks and this plan as well as the others seem really easy to follow consider Zwift says "do 350w for 45 seconds" and so on so seems like it takes any sort of complexity out of training and really simplifies it?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

Oh that's good to know!

Do you think the training plans are useful and work? For example after a 25min ride Zwift set my FTP to 252 which does seem quite accurate for me.

I had a look at the FTP Builder that has me follow a daily routine for 4 weeks and this plan as well as the others seem really easy to follow consider Zwift says "do 350w for 45 seconds" and so on so seems like it takes any sort of complexity out of training and really simplifies it?

The FTP Builder programmes are very popular.
    Alternatively just ride, joining a mix of group events and races.
  • I'd hope just riding will build my form as I seem to really work myself weather it's from competition or getting to hills, with Zwift and the Kickr Snap hills have the same effect of pushing power output up so I really like hilly courses
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Yes some of the weight stuff on zwift seems odd - 12 year olds dropping race fit adults - doesn't happen in real life.

Just planning on setting up zwift for my second Winter of it. Didn't bother with voice chat last year but think I might try that this time.

Also need a target to aim for but not sure what to go for. Racking up virtual awards doesn't really float my boat - I'd like to get to A cat but at 53 that may be (probably is) a stretch unless I get down to a weight I've not been for 20 years.

I can recommend joining a team for the Tuesday night Zwift Racing League if you fancy a challenge. They've an FB group where you can ask if anyone has a spot.

It's a team racing series where you race in teams of 6 (out of a larger roster), you get points, and there's an ongoing league structure. Race series are 8 weeks I think.

They are better policed than most Zwift races as joining is by private (team-specific) links and people are actively DQ'd for cheating (obviously still not perfect since there's not a lot of weight verification going on below the top league. Apparently there's a certain number of spot checks).