Any Runners On Here....Watch Recommendation.

Whilst I realise I would be best posting on a running forum just thought I would ask on here as quite a lot of cyclists also run.

Anybody have any recommendations for a running watch that will upload to Strava or ideally you can put the Strava app on.

I like to use the Autocues that come with Strava when used on a phone and in an ideal world would like a watch that does this.

For those who don't run the Autocues tell you distance, time, split etc every half mile in Strava running.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I use a Vivoactive 3, it's an old model now.
    You sync to your phone using Garmin's app, Garmin's app uploads it to their server and their server sends it to Strava.
    Mine tells me the split time per mile, I'm not sure if you can change it to half miles or get it to show any additional data. You can also set reminders to drink/eat every xx minutes.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I use a simple Garmin watch, if you switch to metric then it will give you splits every km.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I have a forerunner 45 (basic end of the forerunner line).

While running you can display any of the following:

Timer, Distance, Pace, Calories, HR, HR zone, Lap time, Lap distance, Lap pace, Average pace, Cadence, Steps, Time.

You can set laps manually by pressing it while you run, or turn on autolap which will start a new lap every km or mile (depending on your unit of preference).

You can also set up workouts or join a workout plan which will tell you more specific things, like run 7 mins, walk 1, repeat - or whatever.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    It plays well with Strava in terms of uploading the activity afterwards, but you can't get it to display any Strava stuff during the run.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Any Garmin watch will do what you want. As you move up through the range you can add optical HR, extra metrics (though requires a specific HR strap), music (no need to carry a phone) and Garmin Pay
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

Any Garmin watch will do what you want. As you move up through the range you can add optical HR, extra metrics (though requires a specific HR strap), music (no need to carry a phone) and Garmin Pay

Does the Garmin talk to you as you run like Strava does when carrying a phone. I do not use headphones, so do the watches have a built in speaker?

Audible time, distance, split info are the most important thing to me. It would be great if there was a watch with built in Strava or the ability to download the Strava app on to the watch rather than upload at end of activity.
  • big.bream83SGjmJv
    big.bream83SGjmJv Posts: 53
    edited May 2021
    I do a lot of running alongside the bike. I have the Polar Grit X, I bought this model for the Battery Life and the Navigation for when I'm on the Fells. I did look at Garmin, Corus and Suunto but I've always like Polar equipment and I already have a few years of data within the Polar System.

I believe you can get a bike mount for it, but I just wear it on my wrist as I like to see the heartrate information afterwards and I don't have a dedicated heart rate band.

With the Polar you synch/upload via the Polar Flow App that is either downloaded to your phone or via the desktop application on a PC. The Polar Flow App then synchs with Strava for those all important Kudos clicks.

Mine is setup in km, and I get a display every 1km that tells me avg speed, etc. I'm sure it could be customised to whatever settings you want.

You can put Strava Live Segments onto the Watch, but that is as far as you can go with "Strava being on the watch" as it were.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    womack said:

Does the Garmin talk to you as you run like Strava does when carrying a phone. I do not use headphones, so do the watches have a built in speaker?

Audible time, distance, split info are the most important thing to me. It would be great if there was a watch with built in Strava or the ability to download the Strava app on to the watch rather than upload at end of activity.
    Maybe a Fitbit? Some of them have speakers and seem to link to Strava.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    thistle_ said:

I use a Vivoactive 3, it's an old model now.
    You sync to your phone using Garmin's app, Garmin's app uploads it to their server and their server sends it to Strava.
    Mine tells me the split time per mile, I'm not sure if you can change it to half miles or get it to show any additional data. You can also set reminders to drink/eat every xx minutes.

I have a Vivoactive 3 ,now 1 year old. I have to put it outside 5 min before I want to start. It takes ages to find GPS. It takes a few goes to get it to talk to my phone but that is probably my phones fault .The phone app is always saying there is no internet connection when there obviously is. It gives you messages while you are using it in tiny writing that you will not be able to read while running/riding and will have disappeared before you can read it if you stop!
    Summary- does the job but I would not buy again.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    womack said:

VA3 vibrates when it's trying to tell you something (the split) but you have to look at the watch. I'm pretty sure the +music versions only connect to bluetooth headphones and don't have a speaker.

Garmin Pay is pretty handy although it depends on whether or not your bank/cc allows it. Fitbit have a contactless payment system too.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Thanks to all, it looks like I am looking for something that has not been invented yet!

As Kennedy said..

"Some men see things as they are and say why...I dream things that never were and say why not?"
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,253
    I have a fenix 5 x and it's great but for directions etc you'll need headphones.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Im on the forerunner 235. Unlike the Vivoactive 3 it usually gets gps straight away. I seem to destroy the glued straps on the cheaper forerunner models and paid the extra after my 2nd warranty claim to trade up to the 235.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    The VivoActive 3 is $hit. Avoid it like the plague.

I use mine to tell the time and to track a run/walk but that's it. Forget messages, forget HR. If it connects I can control music (next/last track and volume).
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475

It has an option to give you audible splits but through Bluetooth headphones, there is no speaker
  • alecj
    alecj Posts: 14
    I use a Suunto Ambit and found it to be more reliable than previous Garmins. Not hugely intuitive though.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174
    Wiggle have Forerunner 645 music at £190 just now, which is quite tempting

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-645-music-running-gps-watch
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,110
    Amazfit bip, about 50 quidlets, will sync to strava via the phone app. Has GPS and HRM and is readable in daylight
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme