1 inch steerer tube headset fitted

Hi.My fork is a little too short by 8mm from the stem. What can I do? Buy a longer expander? Ad

d a piece of pipe? Thanks

Comments

• 13Nokid
    13Nokid Posts: 20
    The stem has a size of 40 mm.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Easiest fix might be to find a stem with a lower stack height - there is quite a variation across brands.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • 13Nokid
    Could I add the missing piece of the pipe? 8mm add?
  • 13Nokid
    Would act as a washer? Can you do something like that?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    No, not a good idea. Not safe at all.

What length and rise is that Salsa stem? Thomson X2 series for example have a stack of 36mm, which would reduce your gap to 4mm instead of 8 if your Salsa one is 40mm.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • 13Nokid
    Ok thanks for help
  • 13Nokid
    Could I just leave it like that? Nothing to do with it? Tighten the cap. The stem holds a 32mm pipe.What you think Wheelspinner? Thanks
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551

Would act as a washer? Can you do something like that?

not if you value your life

the stem-steerer connection is safety critical, if it comes loose or fails due to such incorrect use you will almost certainly crash, badly

as ws says above, look for a stem with lower stack

or get new fork and cut to the correct length

the end of the steerer tube needs to be flush with or slightly above the stem, any less and clamping force will be reduced/uneven, that is bad in several ways

if the steerer tube is metal, you could use something like this, you'd also need to cut the steerer shorter to get the correct total length, or add a big stack of spacers above the stem, it's not ideal:
    https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b0s435p43835/BBB_Extender_Steerer_Extender_/Stems
    ...do not use this type of thing if the steerer is carbon fibre
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm not seeing anything wrong with that setup, as it is. The steerer does not need to be flush or above the stem clamp, providing there is enough material to clamp - which in this case, with a single bolt stem clamp, there is. In any case, you have to assume that the bike has been ridden for an indefinite number of years as it is, without issue.

So when you say the steerer is 'too short' I'm not entirely sure what you mean, or what you think it is 'too short' for..?
  • 13Nokid
    Fork is full carbon . Stem clamp is 40mm size . The clamp holds a 32mm pipe. An expander with a length of about 40mm wants to mount. I think is safe imposter.
  • imposter2.0
    edited May 2021
    Doesn't matter what the fork is made of. There is either enough material to clamp, or there isn't. With that stem, in that configuration, I don't think there is a problem.

Of course, if you wanted to raise the stem - by fitting spacers underneath it, then that would be a different matter. But as it is now, I don't see an issue
  • 13Nokid
    Ok thank you 👍
  • imposter2.0
    The other thing to add is that if you have a 1" carbon steerer, then the inside diameter is going to be smaller than the 1&1/8" expander you posted above.
  • 13Nokid
    And what should be the pressing for 1 inch steerer tube tightened the expander? 8 nM?Stem clamp 5 nM Yes?
  • imposter2.0

And what should be the pressing for 1 inch steerer tube tightened the expander? 8 nM?Stem clamp 5 nM Yes?

Tight enough so it doesn't move up when the top cap bolt is fitted.
  • 13Nokid
    I think is good size expander check Imposter please
  • 13Nokid

• imposter2.0
    Sorry, I misread that. Just looked at that again - if that is for a 1" headset - and assuming that the ID of both the bung and the steerer is compatible - then it's fine.
  • 13Nokid
    It looks like this after installation
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited May 2021

Doesn't matter what the fork is made of. There is either enough material to clamp, or there isn't. With that stem, in that configuration, I don't think there is a problem.

Of course, if you wanted to raise the stem - by fitting spacers underneath it, then that would be a different matter. But as it is now, I don't see an issue

this.

the clamping bolt in your picture is well within the steerer, you have a 5mm gap to allow bearing preload, apart from it looking rusty and shti it looks fine.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • 13Nokid
    I had to remove the spacers and made some extra only 1 mm.
  • 13Nokid
    MattFalle what you think the rust on the stem clamp, is it better to paint? It's stem salsa cr-mo steel
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Yeah, why not - pull it off, give it a good rub with some sand paper, get it all smooth then apply new paint to make it all glossy, slip it back in.

A nice shiney one smooth glistening one is always better than a cacky brown one.

Use some lube where required when reassembly - never go in dry as it just causes problems later on.

You'll be able to do the whole thing so get the front and back of it smooth and shiney.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.