Brand new carbon bike BB shell damaged!

Hi guys I hope this is the best section for this post?

less than a month ago bought a brand new carbon FS bike from an online retailer for almost 4k, crank was 175 but I wanted 165, so original crank was removed, when it was removed noticed bits of plastic inside BB, upon closer inspection the Tube that goes between the BB cups (Sram DUB press fit) was smashed, this 100% was not caused during crank removal. because we wanted to clean out the bits of plastic and see what's going on we pushed out the bearings with the correct press fit BB tool, once the cups were removed we inspected damage to tube and also noticed damaged to the carbon BB shell! again 100% this damage was not caused by pushing out the BB, the BB shell on one side is badly chipped 1 layer of carbon has been badly chipped about 1.5cm wide and half depth of BB cup would sit in Shell. I'm assuming when the BB was pressed in care was not taken to ensure it was square and lined up with BB shell before pressing in and caught edge of the carbon and caused the damage.

A few questions, as to where I stand on this?

Should I just live with damage and carry on (bb seems to still fit ok even with chips)
Are the retailer/ manufacturer responsible to address this issue?
Should this be rectified by Retailer or manufacturer?
Are the BBs installed at factory or at LBS/Retailer?
What do I do if they claim damage was caused by end user?
Would it make a difference if it was end user or a qualified cycle tech who removed the BB?

Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to get an idea where i stand on these issues incase i get fobbed off by Retailer or manufacturer.

So far i have emailed retailer on the weekend and am awaiting a reply, I'm not naming retailer or manufacturer until i give them a chance to rectify the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I can understand that you are starting to prepare yourself, and that you want to know where you stand, but maybe it's worth just waiting for their reply and see what they say - you may be very happy with their response.
  • singleton said:

I can understand that you are starting to prepare yourself, and that you want to know where you stand, but maybe it's worth just waiting for their reply and see what they say - you may be very happy with their response.

Yes you're right, just read alot of negative experiences online so I'm a bit paranoid hehe
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

Yes you're right, just read alot of negative experiences online so I'm a bit paranoid hehe

Your contract is with the LBS, not the manufacturer of the bike (even if they did the damage). It is for the retailer to take up their claim with the manufacturer not you. Your problem may be convincing the retailer that it was not you that caused the damage. But as has already been advised, wait and see.

If you fail to convince the retailer that they should resolve this, they may convince you that there is nothing to worry about. That area of the frame is very strong, thicker than the rest of the bike, is supported by the bearings, and of course it cannot be seen. I wonder just how many other carbon fibre framed bikes (like my current and previous two) have similar damage?

But I understand your concern. It's a new bike and should be unblemished! With my first carbon fibre framed bike I was paranoid about stone chips, falling off it, clamping it in my workstand, onto my tow bar rack....... But these bikes are a lot tougher than you think, see this:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

Watch to the end! B)

• Yes you're right, just read alot of negative experiences online so I'm a bit paranoid hehe

Your contract is with the LBS, not the manufacturer of the bike (even if they did the damage). It is for the retailer to take up their claim with the manufacturer not you. Your problem may be convincing the retailer that it was not you that caused the damage. But as has already been advised, wait and see.

If you fail to convince the retailer that they should resolve this, they may convince you that there is nothing to worry about. That area of the frame is very strong, thicker than the rest of the bike, is supported by the bearings, and of course it cannot be seen. I wonder just how many other carbon fibre framed bikes (like my current and previous two) have similar damage?

But I understand your concern. It's a new bike and should be unblemished! With my first carbon fibre framed bike I was paranoid about stone chips, falling off it, clamping it in my workstand, onto my tow bar rack....... But these bikes are a lot tougher than you think, see this:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

Watch to the end! B)
    I know what you mean, It wasn't really the structural integrity I was concerned about it was the effect the damage has on the interface between the shell and the bearing cups and wether further down the line I'd have creaking or accelerated bearing wear? Maybe I'm being too fussy 😅