replacing a chain and cassette

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,019
I'm giving all my bearings an overhaul so whilst I'm at it will replace the chain and cassette as well, from my notes the original groupset is Ultegra 6800 and that's unavailable, can I assume that R8000 will work just as well

Also looks like I'll need to pair it with a Dura Ace chain due to stock levels.

Any issues here?
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    No issues what so ever
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Yep, R8000 will work fine. Or (105) R7000 for that matter

You're not limited to a shimano chain - Other 11 speed chains will work fine
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    edited May 2021
    I must admit to liking SRAM chains, and also have quick links so that's probably a better idea. Probably red...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    KMC chains work mega and are better than Shimano ones

SRAM cassettes as well
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    What the MFs said. I use KMC chains, quick link can be reused which SRAM say not to as I recall. SRAM cassettes work fine, think I've got one on my bike with Ultegra mech and non-series shifters.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Another one who has replaced 6800 cassette with a Sram and only use KMC chains as the quick link is easier.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    edited May 2021
    It is an eye opener once you realise that a chain* is a common design so all parts are interchangeable as long as they can be physically fitted. As an example I have Campagnolo groupset on one of my bikes with Stonglight rings, KMC chain and a Shimano cassette on the trainer. All works well. Might try a Sram cassette on the trainer next time.
    *speeds/width are what changes interchangeability.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.