Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Components - even on used market - appear so much more expensive these days?

Pondered a dura ace 9100 groupset upgrade from my current ultegra 9000, however, none appear available from the usual shopping and retails channels: Ive found some listed on ebay for astronomical prices.
I guess this is doing to the pandemics effect on cycling's increased popularity and, to and extent, brexit? I upgraded my last bikes groupset from 6800 to 9000 in the summer of 2016 after sourcing a little used set very reasonably - that definitely doesn't look to be the case today!
«1

Posts

  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,916
    Agreed, the costs have rocketed up - as you say a combination of pandemic and leaving the EU - to my mind, more the latter.

    All the competition that used to exist with big EU retailers such as Mantel, Bike DE, Bike Inn, has overnight pretty much dissapeared.

    As an example, I was looking for some Zipp Vuka tt extensions - cheapest in theory was Bike DE, had great service from them in the past, and on the face of it their price was about 30% less than anyone here.

    Postage charge has virtually doubled, then I would need to add 20% onto the entire cost including postage, and then the jolly admin fee which can be anything from £8 - £25 depending on the carrier used.

    The UK suppliers now do not have anything like the amount of competition they had, and if you think of the number of big players:

    Halfords & Tredz
    CRC and Wiggle
    Merlin
    Sigma

    They no longer need to reduce their prices, as it's on the verge of a *monopoly now.

    I appreciate it is not actually one.

    I've seen second hand shimano cranksets advertised for £200 - not long ago brand new ones would be on offer for perhaps £120.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 25,950
    We can blame Covid, Brexit and allsorts, but ultimately, it is demand Vs supply. If you don't upgrade, prices will come down.
    For as long as people will upgrade perfectly viable components, demand will outstrip supply...
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,757
    My main suppliers during this year, although admittedly not much, have been with Condor Cycles and Amazon. A big change from the past.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wayneabswayneabs Posts: 53
    All about supply and demand, the parts are just not available to buy online hence the high prices for second hand goods.

    I was trying to find a Dura Ace 160mm Rotor and had to use e-bay and source it from Taiwan
  • super_davosuper_davo Posts: 617
    On the flip side, if you are planning on selling your current DA9000 to part fund your new purchase, you are likely to get top dollar for it. I favour eBay on £1 final fee listings, sell by auction, keep the starting price low and it will get what it gets.

    If you hunt around hard enough for the replacement, potentially buying different bits in different places, you may still be able to upgrade for an additional outlay that isn't extravagent.

    However, you have to look hard. I remember seeing a mechanical DA9100 for £900 in Merlin not that long ago, that is never going to happen again!
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,916
    Agreed, I recall that Merlin offer on the 9100, not long ago at all :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,757
    edited 4 May
    Remember when Santini were good value for money kit?
    😱😱😱 Only £230!


    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,022
    Need to have the jersey to match...

  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,757
    mrb123 said:

    Need to have the jersey to match...

    At least they don't have the cheek to use ONLY for that one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,022
    pblakeney said:

    mrb123 said:

    Need to have the jersey to match...

    At least they don't have the cheek to use ONLY for that one.
    Well actually...

  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,022
    It says a lot when they need to advertise 0% finance for a cycling Jersey.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,916
    Santini kit is good, but it's not THAT good imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 3,179
    Can't see the problem tbh - how many people quite happily hand over £150 plus for shorts, tops, £200 plus for shoes.... Just look at the Rapha/Dopey Millar/Yantothenob fans on here whenever kit purchases are discussed.

    At least Santini are being upfront about and not just selling some marketing panacea
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,757
    Problem is that kit that used to be value for money is now uber expensive.
    Labels be damned but this is not a good thing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,619
    Are people generally buying less cycling stuff?

    I've pretty much stopped randomly browsing bikes and cycling kit and as a result I'm buying much less.

    If I need something then I'll buy it - last thing was new chain, cassette, chainrings and cables for my "race" bike - but I'm not making impulse purchases and stopped thinking about getting a new bike because once you stop browsing it's a case of out of sight out of mind.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,757

    Are people generally buying less cycling stuff?

    Yes. But I have all I want, far less need, and have a stock of consumables bought at sale prices. This doesn't equate though. Less buying would result in a price drop.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,340
    pblakeney said:

    Remember when Santini were good value for money kit?
    😱😱😱 Only £230!


    You can still get their shorts for 80 quid and a jersey for 48 at Probike kit.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 14,757
    edited 5 May
    webboo said:


    You can still get their shorts for 80 quid and a jersey for 48 at Probike kit.

    Yeah, but not that model. I'm not shopping, just shocked at the asking prices.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 21,875
    edited 5 May
    Cake Stoppers will be well aware of my opinion of Brexit but to add some context I see one of the big (non dutch-) bike shops* in The Hague has just posted that he'd closing because he just can't get stock at the moment. Neither bikes nor parts.

    The difference is that this is the new norm for us whereas post Covid the Dutch & German shops will be back to normal

    (* to be clear - an actual shop, not an online store)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shirley_bassoshirley_basso Posts: 4,082
    I don't understand why the multinational is out of business but the boutique remains in.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 3,179


    example

    and people accept this and seem proud to buy it at these prices.

    friggin' ridiculous.
  • super_davosuper_davo Posts: 617
    Le Col, Rapha, Chptr3 are specific brands aimed high end for a specific type of person. You know you're not getting value, but you're getting a stylish product with the "right" label.

    £230 Santini shorts is like a VW Phaeton, a Ford Vignale or even a Trek Project One. I'm sure they are superbly made and represent the finest of the finest. But racers aren't going to buy them because too expensive, cafe riders/posers aren't going to buy them because wrong label, don't know who they are for...

    (FWIW I will stick with DHB Aeron & Castelli FreeRace whenever on sale myself thanks...)
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,396
    I bought a le Col package (shorts and jersey) with a £50 strava voucher and used a code to get a “free” gilet. Wouldn’t have bothered at full price.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 3,179

    Le Col, Rapha, Chptr3 are specific brands aimed high end for a specific type of person. You know you're not getting value, but you're getting a stylish product with the "right" label.

    £230 Santini shorts is like a VW Phaeton, a Ford Vignale or even a Trek Project One. I'm sure they are superbly made and represent the finest of the finest. But racers aren't going to buy them because too expensive, cafe riders/posers aren't going to buy them because wrong label, don't know who they are for...

    (FWIW I will stick with DHB Aeron & Castelli FreeRace whenever on sale myself thanks...)

    so - over priced and not that great?

    Thanks for confirming.
  • shirley_bassoshirley_basso Posts: 4,082
    Some of Rapha items look great, and to me, that's more important than wearing castelli's technically flawless, but mainly ugly kit with the big red crabs on it.
  • darkhairedlorddarkhairedlord Posts: 6,565
    Merlin own brand Jersey, £15. Job jobbed and it doesn't matter if it gets dirty.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,916

    Are people generally buying less cycling stuff?

    I've pretty much stopped randomly browsing bikes and cycling kit and as a result I'm buying much less.

    If I need something then I'll buy it - last thing was new chain, cassette, chainrings and cables for my "race" bike - but I'm not making impulse purchases and stopped thinking about getting a new bike because once you stop browsing it's a case of out of sight out of mind.

    Yep definitely - still making little tweaks and upgrades, and in the process of building a TT bike, so just ordered some slip on bars etc, but bagged a couple of rare large discounts on a base bar and extensions - there are not many bargains out there.
    But in general, not browsing looking for bargains, and instead specifically looking for items I need - my bank balance is thanking me for it.

    Like a lot of people i have stocked up on spares when the going was good, so I have ample good quality shorts both for outdoor rides and turbo work 'in stock' so I won't be needing to replenish my wardrobe in the next 5-10 years.

    Personally I liked to buy a nice new pair of shorts, or a lovely new jersey, a couple of Isadore ones last year were stunning, but bought just before the charges went through the roof, so that avenue is now cut off for me, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

    Happily I have a stock of all clothing pieces, so again, 10 years or more until I need to be buying anything, if that.

    Also have tubes, saddles, pedals, shoes, helmets etc etc - you get the idea.
    And have been adding more tools to my arsenal, so I can become more self sufficient, a BB30 press being the latest addition.

    I'm assuming prices are still going up as supply is shafted, and due to import costs etc etc.

    I'm a member of a Scott bikes page, and one chap on there has just put down a deposit on a 2022 Addict RC - he's been told he won't get it until March 2022!

    I had heard they were trying to get bikes out July time due to shortages, but looks like that isn't happening - unless that is one incorrect tale, but he claims that came from his local UK Scott dealer, I have no reason to doubt him, but it's not guaranteed of course.

    I was hoping to get an 2022 Addict RC30 this year on the C2W scheme, but looks like that may need to wait until actually 2022.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,340
    I snapped what is called a soft buckle on my Sidi shoes at the weekend. Last time I broke one I could get spares from here in the UK or direct from Sidi. However no where in the UK had the colour white in stock. Sidi no longer sell direct to the UK I did manage to order some from somewhere in France I think but they will take a week to get here and the postage was more than the cost of the buckles.
    For the time being I have gone Bobby Shaftoe as my shoes have silver buckles on them.
  • womackwomack Posts: 137
    I have enough clothes (cycling and normal) to last me until I die.

    Apparently though according to Mrs. W there is something called "fashion"

    It appears to have passed me by!
  • wotnoshoesehwotnoshoeseh Posts: 509
    edited 8 May
    December 2017, I purchased an Ultegra R8000 groupset from Merlin, who had a 10% code on it at the time. Total cost was £625 - 10%, so £562.50 or thereabouts.
    Same groupset is currently available on Merlin for £999.
    That's a 78% cost increase in just over three years.
    Even a 105 groupset, if you can get it, would cost you £500.

    Brexit is certainly a factor. Parts prices have been continually on the rise since Brexit was announced (used to be you could buy an 11 speed chain for <£15, not any more though). As one poster above mentioned, there is no real competition within the UK.
Sign In or Register to comment.