Post-mount calipers on flat mounts

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
Sorry, no doubt this one has been done to death, but I have an old (2017) disc road bike, and was thinking of going gravel with a new frame and moving over the old bits - including the brakes (105 previous generation). But these are post-mount, not flat-mount.
I believe that you can get converters - what would you recommend? Will they work on any flat-mount frame?

Also - does anyone understand how to change QR wheels to thru-axle (is it possible????)

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a Mason Bokeh frame so I spoke to Mason who said any post mount to flat mount adaptor will work so I'm going to go with these from TRP. As for converting the wheels to thru axle, it will depend on the wheels so best to check with the manufacturer. I'm going to be using a pair of Hunt wheels which can be converted by changing the front end caps and the rear axle all for about £20.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Yes, adaptors should be standard or they would be pointless!

Regarding your hubs - it depends if they have removable end caps. I have Hope Hubs on all my bikes and they have a variety of end caps for different axles. Check with the hub brand to see if the end caps are replaceable. Then all you need is the right end caps and a pair of thru axles.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    OK, thanks, I know one pair of wheels does come with caps (Prime wheels)

It's just a hill. Get over it.