Alien attack, multi tool won't close

Hey,

I am not an experienced rider and definitely not very knowledgeable in regards to fixing bikes

I bought a 'Topeak Alien II Multi Tool' some three years ago. I take it on journeys but haven't really had to use it much, other than occasionally tightening a few bike ornaments (yes I said ornaments... like I mentioned I'm not very experienced...)

This week I tried to get the 3mm allen key out... disaster

Somehow in doing so the 8mm spanner, Spoke Wrench, 10mm spanner and flat screwdriver became stuck in the erect position. In-between the 3rd and 4th of those the stainless knife is stuck in the down (closed) position.

So five of the tools are stuck. Four of them critically in the up placement – so I can’t put the tool away.

I tried to loosen the side screws [until one came off] – to give more ‘room’ between tools. This gave a little movement but still they are stuck in their up [4 of them] or down [1 the knife] positions.

Is this a common issue?

Is this because I haven’t used it, often… ?

Is this a solution of using WD40? I can't see how that will help but then after loosening didn't work, I'm not sure what to do.

The tool has gone on rides with me, but always in a waterproof bag. So it shouldn’t be rust.

Anyone else had this?

Anyone know how to fix this?

Sorry if the question is somewhat remedial.

Thanks for any help/abuse xx

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited April 2021
    It’s probably just a bit of corrosion. Take the multi tool apart (carefully noting where any bolts and washers go), clean everything and then reassemble it.

EDIT: The tool pulls in half. The knife blade is on one half and the Allen keys on the other half. Have you separated the two halves before trying to fold the tools back down?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    Hi

Yes thanks, it is split... the other half is fine...

The half I have an issue with,

the first tool [stuck UP] is the 8mm spanner,

the second [stuck UP] the Spoke Wrench,

The third [stuck UP] is the 10mm spanner

and the fifth [stuck UP] the flat screwdriver

the fourth one is the stainless knife which is stuck in the down (closed) position.

Final [silly] question... cleaning is just water and drying [?] I guess

Thanks again
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    The spanners etc on that half of the tool are designed to click into place when fully opened. To release them again you press the flat metal bit on the rear of that half of the tool.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    The knife being stuck down is also intentional and a safety feature to prevent the blade from accidentally becoming exposed. Pressing the same metal bit down (mentioned in my post above) releases the knife to be able to use it.
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    nibs Thanks for that

I actually opened the set and it magically 'fixed' itself

But what you said makes a load of sense - and very helpful for the future - thanks for that again.

I've had it for ages but never use it much and so didn't realise. The only items I have used are some of the allen keys - which I have found hard to use as they fold back in while trying to use them... they seem to stop at a certain point [fully extended] so if I try and pressure that way and into the item I am using the allen key on - it works for a few turns until my pressure goes out of synch and the allen key starts to fold back in.

The spanners locking is a great idea - be so much easier to use them

Once more thanks nibs and everyone for coming in to answer/ help xx