thursday in one more dimension

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

Where are all the cassettes? I want an 11 speed sram 11-28, not too fussed if it's rival or force. Stock levels are zero. I prefer the sram over the shimano as it goes 19-17-16-15 in the middle of the block, whereas shimano goes 21-19-17-15.

pm'd you

a lot of stuff seems out of stock in uk, i've been searching eu sites and picking up parts for now/future whenever the pricing is ok

once travel is easy/regular again, i think i'll be getting eu chums to order and collecting when i/they visit (shh!)
    Ta. Given my somewhat lax cleaning and chain changing regime, a sram red cassette might undo itself and run off to a more considerate owner...

I'm assuming the extra dough means lightness rather than durability in less than perfect conditions?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Broken sleep thanks to jab but feel ok, so will probably go for a gentle run followed by the pub later

The youth of today, eh...just booked in for my second jab next week. That means I'll have max protection in time for the indoor pub season :smiley:
    Youth of today...
    Still hoping I'll get my first one sometime this year.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

thistle_ said:

sungod said:

i'm currently testing buying from france to see if that is also vat free :smiley:

I need new cassettes soon so might try Germany/France.
    If it's not VAT free do you pay VAT + huge parcelforce/RM handling fee?
    roughly it's like this for a uk consumer buying from eu...

items up to 135 pounds, the eu retailer charges vat and pays to the uk it via the system - individual eu retailers need to be set up to do this, presumably why some gave up on selling to uk

above that value the eu retailer must not charge vat, instead the vat is due on import, plus any duty, plus a processing fee from the carrier

afaik eu countries were ready to enforce this for uk-->eu sales on 1/1/2021

but the uk government failed to get things ready and has been pushing the dates further back, some checks won't be in place until 2022

result is that uk consumer buying from the eu for more than 135 pounds may result in zero vat at point of sale, and zero vat/duty/fee on import

for the cassette i bought, the customs declaration attached to the package was correct, they hadn't gamed the system by fiddling value, nothing dodgy simply what the uk government chose to allow

my guess is it'll be a coin toss what happens for some time
    They haven't missed charging VAT on any of my recent imports (pre or post Brexit), so either you've been lucky or I've been unlucky.
    i checked, they said in your case it's personal
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    edited April 2021
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

Where are all the cassettes? I want an 11 speed sram 11-28, not too fussed if it's rival or force. Stock levels are zero. I prefer the sram over the shimano as it goes 19-17-16-15 in the middle of the block, whereas shimano goes 21-19-17-15.

pm'd you

a lot of stuff seems out of stock in uk, i've been searching eu sites and picking up parts for now/future whenever the pricing is ok

once travel is easy/regular again, i think i'll be getting eu chums to order and collecting when i/they visit (shh!)
    Ta. Given my somewhat lax cleaning and chain changing regime, a sram red cassette might undo itself and run off to a more considerate owner...

I'm assuming the extra dough means lightness rather than durability in less than perfect conditions?
    light, but extremely durable, most of it is machined from a single lump of tool steel, just the biggest cog is al, no play at all, freehubs never get notched

plus, of course, shininess
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

thistle_ said:

sungod said:

i'm currently testing buying from france to see if that is also vat free :smiley:

I need new cassettes soon so might try Germany/France.
    If it's not VAT free do you pay VAT + huge parcelforce/RM handling fee?
    roughly it's like this for a uk consumer buying from eu...

items up to 135 pounds, the eu retailer charges vat and pays to the uk it via the system - individual eu retailers need to be set up to do this, presumably why some gave up on selling to uk

above that value the eu retailer must not charge vat, instead the vat is due on import, plus any duty, plus a processing fee from the carrier

afaik eu countries were ready to enforce this for uk-->eu sales on 1/1/2021

but the uk government failed to get things ready and has been pushing the dates further back, some checks won't be in place until 2022

result is that uk consumer buying from the eu for more than 135 pounds may result in zero vat at point of sale, and zero vat/duty/fee on import

for the cassette i bought, the customs declaration attached to the package was correct, they hadn't gamed the system by fiddling value, nothing dodgy simply what the uk government chose to allow

my guess is it'll be a coin toss what happens for some time
    They haven't missed charging VAT on any of my recent imports (pre or post Brexit), so either you've been lucky or I've been unlucky.
    i checked, they said in your case it's personal
    I suppose they have reason given what I do for a living :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

pm'd you

light, but extremely durable, most of it is machined from a single lump of tool steel, just the biggest cog is al, no play at all, freehubs never get notched

Might even be worth the EUR 200 odd. I do actually have a surfeit of chains.

It's only shiny if you clean it though sg...
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

Broken sleep thanks to jab but feel ok, so will probably go for a gentle run followed by the pub later

Restricted to right arm only.

Where tf have you been MF? I want an explanation.

Threatening clouds. Meh. Will pedal and curse Thor.
    Would have gone earlier but Mrs P went into Morrissons and mysteriously disappeared for an eternity and came out light.
    Not even a bottle of Chablis.
    ciao

doing some boat stuff and getting sandy, now home for a couple of weeks then away, home, away, home, away. Waiting for confirmation (or not) of something in eastern europe then Scotland.

tbh, getting v bored at the moment and need a change of scenery....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Evening folks,
    Busy day of wfw, pleasant enough wobble to and fro. Lots of mad dog action in the park. Saw a nesting swan. Got home and had the new element fitted and the oven on within 10 minutes which is a definite win.
    Better sort H³'s headset this weekend as he's making nearly as much noise as it is😂
    Stevo and I will be jabbed next Friday, different venues as it doesn't sound like he's moving to Kingston. We'll have to meet for drinks of the vaccinated when possible.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Evening folks,
    Busy day of wfw, pleasant enough wobble to and fro. Lots of mad dog action in the park. Saw a nesting swan. Got home and had the new element fitted and the oven on within 10 minutes which is a definite win.
    Better sort H³'s headset this weekend as he's making nearly as much noise as it is😂
    Stevo and I will be jabbed next Friday, different venues as it doesn't sound like he's moving to Kingston. We'll have to meet for drinks of the vaccinated when possible.

You just fell for the coffee and pizza line
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Went for a walk with family earlier across Banstead Common. We see helicopters overhead daily (we seem to be on some sort of flightpath), however today we saw 2 Apache gunships, which isn't normal.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    elbowloh said:

Evening folks,

You just fell for the coffee and pizza line
    Pizza will get me every time, although I had already offered to do it for him.
  • thistle_
    elbowloh said:

Went for a walk with family earlier across Banstead Common. We see helicopters overhead daily (we seem to be on some sort of flightpath), however today we saw 2 Apache gunships, which isn't normal.

The revolution has begun
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    elbowloh said:

I think you’ll find they’re called Airwolf.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    Hopefully it'll arrive this weekend V. I only ordered today. Will keep you posted.

Would love you to try my espresso and the product of the pizza oven! Mrs H³ is doing a batch of dough.

She's out, I'm watching Keith Floyd.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

pm'd you

I have heard and I have good reason to believe that the cross over in Campagnolo between price and durability is Chorus.

Dunno about the other shitey manufacturers of fake cycle components.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    thistle_ said:

elbowloh said:

The revolution has begun
    But it will not be televised
  • Stevo_666

Dawn of the not-so-dead...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Stevo_666 said:

You said it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

Hopefully it'll arrive this weekend V. I only ordered today. Will keep you posted.

Would love you to try my espresso and the product of the pizza oven! Mrs H³ is doing a batch of dough.

Do you deliver?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said it.
    Not joining us then? :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said it.
    Is it just a few drinks or proper drinks? Asking for a friend 😂
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said it.
    I told the wife it's just a few drinks o:)
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said it.
    I told the wife it's just a few drinks o:)
    "Just a quick bike ride" :wink:
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

Do you deliver?
    Only within a 50 metre radius of the pizza oven. :)
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

Do you deliver?
    So now you'll have Veronese, Elbow and Seano camping outside your front door on the scrounge for pizza :smile:
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

Do you deliver?
    So now you'll have Veronese, Elbow and Seano camping outside your front door on the scrounge for pizza :smile:
    You can’t camp outside his front door, there’s a massive monster truck parked outside taking up half the pavement.
  • elbowloh
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

Do you deliver?
    You can’t camp outside his front door, there’s a massive monster truck parked outside taking up half the pavement.
    You can probably camp under it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2021
    Or in it. There's room for a decent sized family.
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

Do you deliver?
    You can probably camp under it.
    😂
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

Do you deliver?
    That's next door's front door....she's moved out, but has kept the house, lets us park on the drive if there's no spaces available - says it makes it look like there's someone still living there.

We try not to unless we have to - the tank really doesn't fit and as you say, takes up half the pavement...

Plenty room in my front garden - you could kip in the asgard if it wasn't full of bikes.