I recently bought my first brand new built MTB

edmund5
edmund5 Posts: 13
edited May 2021 in MTB general
Hi. A small portion from the rear derailleur has some scratch/paint is removed. Is this inevitable from the Manufacturer? thanks.

Comments

• emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    edited April 2021
    Nope, not a brand new bike but **** happens, if it bothers you complain.

If you use a mountain bike like it's designed to be used then scratches will happen so personally I'd not let it bother me, particularly as it's a consumable part.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I know that buying something new, especially if it's your first new bike, you want it to be perfect.

If it were me, and I'd bought it from a local bike shop, I'd go back and speak with them about it. There may be nothing they can do, but I'd at least discuss it with them.

If it had been delivered in a box, then as Oxoman says, it's very easily done and I'd not sweat it.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Fwiw I'd touch the scratch up with some black model paint and enjoy the ride. In a few months there'll likely be the usual wear and tear and by then you won't care anyway.😉
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    To be truthful if I have purchased something new I expect to be exactly as described of course you may get damage there but you also may not I certainly have never had. I would speak with retailer I am sure they would do something ie discount, credit etc.

Also what bike is it?
    So Far!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I agree that with something as important as your first new mtb, to see any blemish is more than just a bit disappointing. But do not forget "it's a mountain bike!" It is designed to go in harm's way. The paint will get scratched from brambles, fence wire, and just leaning the bike against stuff! Transporting the bike in your car or on the back of it will generate scuffs, scratches and chips, whether you like it to not! You have had your first ding early, you've got it out of the way, so get out and ride!

You will get stone chips just riding along, not to mention those from the road when the bike is on the back of the car! (Those are sickeners and no mistake).

But bikes are remarkably robust. I have seen mine bouncing down a stony trail (Jacob's Ladder to be exact), end over end and eventually coming to a halt at least 100 yards from where I landed. I could not find a mark on it! The grips, tyres, saddle and pedals tend to protect the bike in such circumstances. You have to be really unlucky for a rock to protrude inside that protective envelope.

You can do a lot to protect your frame & fork from scratches however. There are Sellotape-like products that stick on the frame (they are removable) that do a very good job indeed of protecting your frame from stone chips and scratches. Collectively they are known as "Helicopter Tape", so called because the first product was used to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades from erosion from raindrops and dust particles. There are many companies that sell HT, so take your pick. Use Mr Google.
  • edmund5
    loltoride said:

To be truthful if I have purchased something new I expect to be exactly as described of course you may get damage there but you also may not I certainly have never had. I would speak with retailer I am sure they would do something ie discount, credit etc.

Also what bike is it?

Trek Procaliber 9.6 2021
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    It'll be battered in no time, trust me. If it isn't, then you aren't doing it right :smile:

I am precious about my road bikes but the MTB, while I look after it well mechanically, there is no point in trying too hard to look after the paint etc. The only way to keep it pristine is never to ride it offroad :wink:
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    edmund5 said:

loltoride said:

Also what bike is it?

Trek Procaliber 9.6 2021
    Nice Bike

So Far!
  • edmund5
    Thank you all, guys. I really appreciate all your answers. :)

Retailer told me they're willing to replace the rear derailleur only.