Gravel-ish frame

Hi all, I have a winter bike with 105, including hydraulic discs. Want to turn it into a Gravel bike, having tried one recently - I should have gone multi-surface when I bought it, TBH.

Anyway, after a gravel style frame, must not be unbearable on road, probably towpaths, singletrack use. Budget say £750.

Also - regarding gearing - can 105 11-speed shifters be used with Shimano MTB rear mechs?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Not sure what you mean by "Gravel-ish", but here's a few to review

First 2 are planet-X as I noticed their sale earlier today:
    London Road - Alloy with 35mm tyre capacity and well within budget
    Tempest - bigger clearance and titanium (hence slightly over budget)
    Both are 20% off until Friday.

Is availability an issue? There's the Kinesis Tripster AT but site showing availability in September.

WRT the shifters, I believe GRX can be used with MTB components, but not sure about the 105 shifters...
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Do you need to maintain compatibility with anything like wheels? That may influence which axle standard to follow, for example.

You can't use an MTB rear mech with 105 shifters normally. There is a GRX mech available which will shift an 11-42 cassette, that's the easiest way to go. Otherwise, you can use something like a Shiftmate to fix the pull ratio: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek-shiftmate-8/
  • Slightly above budget, but £1000 gets you a complete ADV 8.9 (using BC discount) that has 2x10 GRX components and hydraulic discs, that's available in most sizes in orange.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

Slightly above budget, but £1000 gets you a complete ADV 8.9 (using BC discount) that has 2x10 GRX components and hydraulic discs, that's available in most sizes in orange.

Not any more, it's not :'(

• secretsam said:

Slightly above budget, but £1000 gets you a complete ADV 8.9 (using BC discount) that has 2x10 GRX components and hydraulic discs, that's available in most sizes in orange.

Not any more, it's not :'(
    L and XL due back in stock this week (M available now) https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/bikes-due-back-in-stock-this-week/?prefn1=type&prefv1=Adventure Bikes

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • secretsam
    edited April 2021
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...trouble is, I have the bits, and I'd need a small (173cm, typically ride a 54)
    I was also looking at the Kinesis Tripster or Ribble CGR frames

• secretsam said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...trouble is, I have the bits, and I'd need a small (173cm, typically ride a 54)
    I was also looking at the Kinesis Tripster or Ribble CGR frames

Fair enough, what about the 50cm Merlin Malt in stock (there was talk of other sizes coming into stock around now, but no idea what latest is on that). Frameset and bike well regarded.

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2x-gravel-frameset-197832.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Tripster would have been my suggestion.
  • secretsam
    rwoofer said:

Tripster would have been my suggestion.

Quite tempted, and I do like the orange!