Zipp 302 front wheel 76 hub issue

Dear All,

I bought an Zipp 302 (Rim brake version) last year May and recently found out the front hub (76 hub) has side play. (Wheel is true so it is not spoke issue) I took it to bike shop and was told bearing issue. New bearing installed and issue didn't fixed. After that, new Axle, and skewer were changed too. Play was gone at the beginning when I put the wheel on. However, it came back up after half of the ride. FML

Anyone has the same issue or suggestion?

At the beginning, I thought that maybe the design but it is not the case after I contacted Zipp.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have some Zipp 303s and there is play in the rear hub. I have the bearings replaced and a new free hub. Given there is no pre load, there is no way to tighten things up. To me it’s a design fault.
    How did Zipp recommend you get rid of the play.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Is it a lot of play or a little play?
    Minor play is not a problem ad you shouldn't even notice it when you ride... however, major play is a problem
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo said:

I have some Zipp 303s and there is play in the rear hub. I have the bearings replaced and a new free hub. Given there is no pre load, there is no way to tighten things up. To me it’s a design fault.
    How did Zipp recommend you get rid of the play.

Zipp said it should has no play at all. I also changed the end cap as well which means all internal stuff are new. What a headache.
  • Is it a lot of play or a little play?
    Minor play is not a problem ad you shouldn't even notice it when you ride... however, major play is a problem

It is minor play which was not noticeable during the ride. However, I bought it new and didn't expected like this. My friend ride with the 404, and he doesn't has issue like this.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Warranty claim or keep them and live with minor play
  • Warranty claim or keep them and live with minor play

Thanks for the advise. I just want to see does any other is facing the same issue as mine.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Minor play is not uncommon, typically due to bearing wear... they can wear very quickly if the hub shell is not perfect. Typically they settle with a bit of play and tend to last a reasonable distance. I have something similar on my front Hope... I have to replace one bearing every year, always the same one. It's not a big deal, because it takes 5 minutes and costs around 10 pounds. The minor play doesn't affect steering or feel of the bike
  • Any other has the same issue as mine?
  • ugo.santalucia

Any other has the same issue as mine?

Even if someone did, that wouldn't solve your problem. Front hubs are very simple, there is a shell, an axle and two bearings. If you don't want to return the wheels under warranty, then learn to replace the bearings, it really only takes 5 minutes. This way you can monitor wear and when the play gets too much, you replace them and get another few thousand miles.
    You really only have two options, there is no miracle solution
  • Any other has the same issue as mine?

Even if someone did, that wouldn't solve your problem. Front hubs are very simple, there is a shell, an axle and two bearings. If you don't want to return the wheels under warranty, then learn to replace the bearings, it really only takes 5 minutes. This way you can monitor wear and when the play gets too much, you replace them and get another few thousand miles.
    I had mentioned earlier. New bearing, Axle, end cap, and Skewer were changed. Issue didn't solved. I am wondering is only my wheel like that or other has same issue whom owned the 302.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    Some hub manufacturers use C3 bearings. C3 bearings have a larger clearance between the races and balls than standard bearings but have slightly less rolling resistance. This extra clearance leaves the bearing with lateral play- this may be the play you are experiencing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    masjer said:

Some hub manufacturers use C3 bearings. C3 bearings have a larger clearance between the races and balls than standard bearings but have slightly less rolling resistance. This extra clearance leaves the bearing with lateral play- this may be the play you are experiencing.

True, but typically they use C3 combined with a preload system... this hub doesn't appear to have a preload cap.
  • ugo.santalucia

Any other has the same issue as mine?

I had mentioned earlier. New bearing, Axle, end cap, and Skewer were changed. Issue didn't solved. I am wondering is only my wheel like that or other has same issue whom owned the 302.
    Does it matter?
    You might have a slightly misaligned or mis-machined hub shell, so, as I have said 3 times already, you have 2 options: you return them under warranty or you keep them. If you keep them, I advise you learn to replace the bearings, because they will most likely wear out at a slightly faster rate than normal. It's not unusual by any stretch of imagination.
    If it bothers you, then return them.
    I don't think there is another option, as you have tried replacing every part that can be replaced already and the problem keeps coming back