Major fitting/compatibility issue with sealed bearing for FOX 36

Hello all,
I have just got round to servicing my sealed bearings in my forks to extend the life a little more...I have serviced them once before.
Top bearing....fine...cleaned re installed...running smooth...
Bottom bearing...the balls popped out all over the patio...so lost bearings apart from about 5!
I took some used bearings out of a cube peleton. The balls were 1/8th so I slotted them in the bearing holder and tried to reassemble the bottom race into the top race..it just would not go...I got a rubber mallet and the right diameter thing to knock and seat the sealed bearings back together...but when it did click together the bearing would not turn?!!!

Can anyone suggest the issue!
My first thought is the balls out of the cube are a different size or the balls in the original headset are not a standard size...(the balls I lost on the patio)
All suggestions really appreciated...and yes I am overdue a new headset...but need to get it togethr to ride at Ae forrest this Sunday :-)
This is the link Commencal sent me for a replacement headset. CANE CREEK 40 SERIES HEADSET ZS44 / ZS56

My Bike is a commencal Meta trail 2019 brushed alloy..

Cheers,
Jon.

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    I've put new balls in a Cane Creek 40 and they were 1/8". One thing you could try is refitting without using the cage/retainer (i do this). You need to use more balls (making a full complement bearing) but leave a space for 1-2 balls- the space allows the balls to roll. Stick the loose balls (with grease) into the larger race, then press in the smaller one.