Rockerhopper Elite or Cannondale Cujo 3?

struanyoungt1ETJF1o
edited April 2021 in MTB buying advice
New to MTB. Limited on choice due to frame size availability and using cycle 2 work voucher. Which one suits a new to MTB user best please?

I'm a confident road cyclist, but joining my son and some friends on trail runs and a few downhill runs in future. Not sure which one is best and if I really need the 27.5+ tyres on the cujo or if that's a gimmick?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited April 2021
    The Cujo would win for me. It's got a dropper post, Boost thru axle front end, decent air forks and at least Boost hub on rear (141qr). The Cujo also has an external bb and cranks as opposed to the older standard square taper on the Specialized.

All round the Cujo is beefier and probably a bit stronger overall because it's a 27.5+ bike.

My friend has just bought the same Cujo second hand but the original owner did change the tyres from 2.8's to 2.5's, only out of personal preference. This he said was to have slightly less rolling resistance and reduce weight as he mostly used it for XC rides on canal towpaths and easy trails.

I reckon plus size tyres aren't a gimmick, they do help to make riding less harsh and offer a bigger footprint for impoved grip on more technical and/or less grippy trails.

My vote goes to the Cujo as a better choice for where you plan on riding and as a first step into the mtb world.