Entry level pedals

I'm currently running Shimano A530 touring style pedals on my current road bike. I'm taking delivery of a new one at some point in the next few weeks and was looking to move across to a road style Look/Shimano 3-bolt type. I don't want to spend more than £50 ideally. I've seen Boardman & Wellgo offerings plus the lower end Look Keo classic.
Any recomendations?

Comments

• Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    Shimano PD-RS500 SPD-SL Pedals

Should be right at your price point. I know at 105 to ultegra levels the only diff is body construction and marginally lighter. Ive had a pair of these years ago and they work just fine.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I'd say the older 105 5700 are the best ones. Better engagement and harder wearing if you can find them.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Look Keo Classic or whatever they are called nowadays.

Easy to use, cheap, cleats are cheap.

Tbh, I have some Exustars as well - dirt cheap and very good.

Planet X are also doing a range of pedals now that may be worth a look.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76

I'd say the older 105 5700 are the best ones. Better engagement and harder wearing if you can find them.

this is true too. I have a pair from 2006 that are still in service.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    If you can stretch the budget a touch, then these are in range:
    https://probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-pedals-cleats/look-keo-2-max-pedals/11579812.html?variation=11579813

£63.49, but the code below will take that down to £57.14
    Discount code for 10% off is: VCUK10

Then if you register for Topcashback, that alleges to give an extra 2% off, so pretty much £56 on the nose.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Tashman said:

I'm currently running Shimano A530 touring style pedals on my current road bike. I'm taking delivery of a new one at some point in the next few weeks and was looking to move across to a road style Look/Shimano 3-bolt type. I don't want to spend more than £50 ideally. I've seen Boardman & Wellgo offerings plus the lower end Look Keo classic.
    Any recomendations?

Can I ask why you're changing?

Do you have budget for new shoes also?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    elbowloh said:

Tashman said:

Any recomendations?

Can I ask why you're changing?

Do you have budget for new shoes also?

I guess I'm just looking to see if it makes a difference for me. I won't be using the new bike as run aroud so having the flats option.
    My current shoes have fixings for both 2 & 3 bolt. Ultimately I'll get new shoes in time.
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    MattFalle said:

Look Keo Classic or whatever they are called nowadays.

Easy to use, cheap, cleats are cheap.

Tbh, I have some Exustars as well - dirt cheap and very good.

Planet X are also doing a range of pedals now that may be worth a look.

I've got Look Keo Classic 2 and 3, as well as Keo Max 2.

Merlin have the Classic 3 for £39 at the moment. I find the Classic 2 a little small in the platform, leading to the odd hotspot. The Classic 3 and the Max 2 are both better in this regard.

And I'm still on my first set of cleats - they last for ages.

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Keo Classics, I have run them on 3 bikes for a few years and never had any problems.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’m a massive fan of time pedals. You can get xpresso 2s off evilbay for your budget, easy.