saturday man must forge convictions, call other men his brothers, and fight for freedom

Comments

• nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207

Been practising my chain cooking ready for Bici e Libri.

Tyres swapped on the roadie (rear getting a bit square so popped onto the front). Saddle from old steelie commuter swapped onto MTB.

Chili plants re-potted, lunch lunched and just watching some F1 qualifying before probably a walk with Mrs and baby nibnob.

Convertible and motorbike both staring at me wondering why I don't love them.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ooh - tell us more about the chain wax lube cooking pleeease.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • nibnob21
    MattFalle said:

ooh - tell us more about the chain wax lube cooking pleeease.

Need to start with a completely sterile and grease free chain but that's the time consuming bit for when you get a new chain (easy to achieve just takes a bit of time with overnight soaking). After that just refined paraffin wax and teflon powder. Melt it down chuck the chain in and swill around. Leave to brew for 10 mins or so then take out, quick pat down and leave to set.

When it comes to subsequent cleaning before re-waxing, just pour a kettle of boiling water over the chain and wipe down with a clean rag. Easy peasy squeezy lemons.

Get about 200 miles before re-waxing. Works nicely for my dry weather bike.
  • MattFalle
    edited April 2021
    Nice.

Count me in for that.

We can have a separate area set up at Bici e Libri just for doing this.

Kari Byron can (wo)man it whilst wearing a lab coat
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    I think I need to do the hot wax thing to my chain. How does it cope in the wet?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Fettle fettle fettle, expensive machinery, whoops broke something, not mine fortunately, I’ve just saved you £££ by finding the fault (breaking something) you’re welcome, new parts ordered.

Enjoying the first desperados of the season in the garden (extremely pleasant) re-seed lawn in areas previous effort didn’t take before I get too tipsy 🥴
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    nibnob21 said:

Tyres swapped on the roadie (rear getting a bit square so popped onto the front).

Is that not wrong. You need the best tyre on the front as that’s the one that controls things.
  • nibnob21
    MattFalle said:

Nice.

Count me in for that.

We can have a separate area set up at Bici e Libri just for doing this.

Kari Byron can (wo)man it whilst wearing a lab coat

I already mentioned it in one of the other weekday threads and you accused me of sounding Welsh, which I was most offended by.

I think I need to do the hot wax thing to my chain. How does it cope in the wet?

Not amazingly but I have a separate bike for those conditions where I use white lightning wet ride.

Other bonus is how clean it keeps your drive train. Honestly never needs anything more than a quick wipe or 2sec light brush with an old toothbrush.
    webboo said:

nibnob21 said:

Tyres swapped on the roadie (rear getting a bit square so popped onto the front).

Is that not wrong. You need the best tyre on the front as that’s the one that controls things.

Don't disagree with what you're saying but as the rear always wears faster, instead of ordering a new one I've just rotated front and rear. Front will be fine for commuting in the dry so will replace both tyres once the new rear/old front squares off.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    edited April 2021
    Ride rided, 4 hours, 95% gravel and bridleways, longest of the year to date. And zero tolling bells. 'Kin sore bits now. Last hour was tough, underfueled and emptied the water bottle, so no bidon to toot. Need to adjust my prep to take account of warmer weather.

Got a pic somewhere, need to find it. Beers, nibbles and nosh beckon.

Edit to add the pic. Sorry Mr Racehorse Trainer Person, but the sheer wind force of my arrival next your course appears to have caused the barriers to crumple. Have a word with the UCI to see if they can offer any advice.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

...vitus domesticus...

Was that before or after the 979?

979?
    The yoof of today [insert rolling eyes icon]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Vitus-979-frame/174722843878?hash=item28ae4b04e6:g:oHkAAOSwMyVgbXBx
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Nearly felt like summer.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Awesome day at Legoland. Boy loved it, don't think he's ever had such a cool day with no melt downs or anything!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

Awesome day at Legoland. Boy loved it, don't think he's ever had such a cool day with no melt downs or anything!

Was a big favourite with ours too.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

Nearly felt like summer.

that look lush H3. A bit jealous tbh....
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

...vitus domesticus...

Was that before or after the 979?

awful Pinno, awful.....
  • hopkinb
    edited April 2021
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Nearly felt like summer.

that look lush H3. A bit jealous tbh....
    Thanks MF.

Different view.

It's only 50m² of paving, decking and Mrs H³'s office. Not much green, though we get a lot of bird visitors.

I thought it would be low maintenance. I do a lot of sweeping....
  • hopkinb
    edited April 2021

Pilsener fans, not sure if there are many on BB....This is the ne plus ultra. Fresh, hoppy, bitter, delicious.

• hopkinb
    Oh, you may also spot mini shovelling an evening bowl of cereal down her neck...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    hopkinb said:

Pilsener fans, not sure if there are many on BB....This is the ne plus ultra. Fresh, hoppy, bitter, delicious.

I have a can of budvar beckoning me from the fridge
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    oxoman said:

Currently quaffing several bottles of corona down my neck.

Is Corona beer on special discount offer the now?
  • pinno
    hopkinb said:

Oh, you may also spot mini shovelling an evening bowl of cereal down her neck...

'Cos dinner was dodgy?
  • hopkinb
    pinno said:

hopkinb said:

'Cos dinner was dodgy?
    Cos she had late lunch at 3...after early breakfast at 8. Mini is a bit of a gannet.

• hopkinb
    The infra red temp gauge made all the difference. Get the stone to 400-425°C Turn the gas down. Whack in the pizza, turn after 45 seconds, another 35 seconds and perfect.
  • hopkinb
    Mind you, it's not cheap..fuel wise..We got through a 5kg bottle in no time. I bought a 13 kg bottle today. We were way overheating the stone though.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Rubbish day here too:

Bike fettled, then went for a walk.
    Stepped into a swamp and the water was 3 inches from the scrotum on the way back - oops. Thought I'd picked the dry path down but obviously not.
  • hopkinb
    edited April 2021
    That's lovely thistle.

Which trig point is that? Are you brecon way? Malverns? Clent?
  • pinno
    hopkinb said:

pinno said:

hopkinb said:

'Cos dinner was dodgy?
    Cos she had late lunch at 3...after early breakfast at 8. Mini is a bit of a gannet.

Aaah, Tricky is too. Can't keep up sometimes and she's skinny as a rake. She used to go on 'binges' and eat and eat and eat...

Wots with the TS1 avatar?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    hopkinb said:

That's lovely thistle.

Which trig point is that? Are you brecon way? Malverns? Clent?

Cadair Berwyn, the lesser known big mountains in the area :wink:

Still a good area for MTB, but less so than it was 5-10 years ago.
  • hopkinb
    One of my favourite films & books. Orraloon has begbie. I'm going to be Renton. I love that line from him.

It's SH1TE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the f@cking earth, the most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever sh@t into civilization. Some people hate the English, I don't. They're just w#nkers.
    We, on the other hand, are colonized by w@nkers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We're ruled by effete @rseholes.

• hopkinb
    edited April 2021
    He's more right now than ever. Last paragraph that is.