Question: Quill handlebar stem, extension

rustyjusty
rustyjusty Posts: 35
edited April 2021 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 1996 Gt outpost trail bike, its a 20 inch and the right size for me, I'm 5ft 10.5. I'd like the handlebars to be higher. Yesterday I moved them to their maximum allowed height but find its still lower than I'd like and lower than the seat.

Bike was bought second hand, I assume its the original stem though.

Questions: Is there's an extender kit for this? The stem screws on and tightens with an Allen key.

If not an extension then can anyone recommend a cheap/second hand stem that's gonna fit? think its approx a 1 inch hole/slot they fit in to. EBay is fine. I'm an amateur at this kinda stuff so want to make sure I get the correct part 😀✌

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Don’t add a stem extender. Look for suitable riser handlebars to use instead.

Out of interest, why do you want the bars higher than the saddle? Handling would be horrible riding uphill on trails.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    The original stem was a high rise quill stem. Horrible looking thing. (i might even have one in the garage). If its too low then maybe its not the original.

Riser handle bars is a good suggestion but note the handlebars were 25.4mm diameter at the stem (not the modern 31.8mm) back in the 90's.

Measure to check before ordering anything.
  • JBA said:

Don’t add a stem extender. Look for suitable riser handlebars to use instead.

Out of interest, why do you want the bars higher than the saddle? Handling would be horrible riding uphill on trails.

Because they are lower than I'd like, Iower than the seat. I also have a trek mountain bike where I've made them higher and they are much more comfortable for everyday casual road and canal path cycling. On the Gt I'd like them higher
  • rustyjusty
    rustyjusty Posts: 35
    edited April 2021
    mully79 said:

The original stem was a high rise quill stem. Horrible looking thing. (i might even have one in the garage). If its too low then maybe its not the original.

Riser handle bars is a good suggestion but note the handlebars were 25.4mm diameter at the stem (not the modern 31.8mm) back in the 90's.

Measure to check before ordering anything.

This is a photo of the stem I've got on

IMG-20210420-100803