Economy Air Rear Shocks - do they even exist?

Hi All, I'm looking to spend no more than £100 on upgrading my rear spring shock with an air shock (front already air) and nearly fell off my chair when I clocked the prices (Rock shox etc, Fox) - I spotted this one for £99 and the exact same one on ebay (Chinese seller with good feedback). I wonder how authentic the shock might be off ebay but the pics show it to be genuine.

Can anyone confirm if these are genuine or if they are quality enough for me - I ride round Lee Quarry sometimes and that does require something half-decent.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I would not trust an air shock for less than £100. There are other shock makers than Fox and Rockshox. There is DVO, X-Fusion, Manitou (now owned by Hayes), there may well be others I can't recall right now. The ones I have mentioned have a great name and are good quality but somehow are cheaper than Fox/Rockshox. Still nowhere near £100 though.

However, like you, a lot of people have been upgrading their suspension and their surplus shock finds their way onto the used market. Try eBay, PinkBike, Facebook, I'm sure there are lots of places that I'm unaware of.

The problem with used air shocks is that if it needs a service, that's £100 right there, even if it doesn't need any replacement parts other than seals and oils. So unless you have reason to trust the seller, or evidence of a recent service, then BEWARE.

I have never had a spring shock (mostly called coil shocks). Is your current coil shock a basic shock, was it once OK and has deteriorated, or is it just no longer up to the task? Would it benefit from a stronger coil or maybe a service? Perhaps someone on here with some experience of coil shocks could advise further.