blown double glazing - Shed

Afternoon all,

The double glazing on my shed window has blown. it's now full of condensation and i can't see much out of it. I don't particularly want to spend any money on it. Is there some sort of hack to improve the visibility or is it even possible to take one of the panes out, leaving it single glazed?

cheers

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I don't think you can fix the double glazed unit because it's factory sealed and you won't be able to replace the vacuum/gas in the gap.

You should be able to take out just the glazing (leave the frame) and replace with a new double glazed unit if you can get one the same size and width but no idea on cost.
    Single glazing, maybe. The problem I see is the single glazed panel is much thinner than the double glazing so you'd have to find something to fill in the gap so it doesn't rattle.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited April 2021
    Hammer.

Fire.

Hedge.

Fit new unit.

Sorted.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    You can get them re-gassed/evacuated and re-sealed. I don't know what it costs or how it's done, but I think they remove them from the frame and go through the edge somehow.

My mum had hers done a few years ago.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    edited April 2021
    We had one of the conservatory windows go and had it done by a local company. Think it cost £80, will find out soon as another has gone.
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    jlloyd said:

Afternoon all,

The double glazing on my shed window has blown. it's now full of condensation and i can't see much out of it. I don't particularly want to spend any money on it. Is there some sort of hack to improve the visibility or is it even possible to take one of the panes out, leaving it single glazed?

cheers

Hi
    I have been in the trade for over 40 years , it is not far of impossible to strip down into single glazed plus not worth the hassle.
    As far as the re gassing goes again maybe a goer
    Is this a upvc window ?
    regards
    Mark
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Cheers All.

Yep Mark - it's upvc.

Got it from a neighbour who was having their house redone so it's pretty old and been on the shed for last 8 years - so had a good life.

Gonna live with it until I can source a cheap replacement
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I use a local company for my double glazing, I've put in 3 windows and a back door. the windows cost me about £130 each for around 600 x 1200 size.

I've no idea how much of that cost was the glass, @ilovegrace will know I'm sure, but perhaps you can find a similar company who will supply a new unit. they're not hard to do depending on the age/type.

The older I get, the better I was.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    jlloyd said:

Cheers All.

Yep Mark - it's upvc.

Got it from a neighbour who was having their house redone so it's pretty old and been on the shed for last 8 years - so had a good life.

Gonna live with it until I can source a cheap replacement

I think you will be astonished how cheap it is to replace the glass
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Depends on how big the g/g unit is then you have the issue with sizing .
    If you could provide a photo inside and out showing the beds that hold the glass in I can advise further.
    This is something you could do but like indexing your rear derailleur , its only easy if you know how.
    regards
    Mark