Gear Set ideas, want feedback

So I come from road racing motorcycles and used to love tuning gears to the track (pull the cassette out swap a 2nd or 3rd gear and see if the lap times drop.

Now I went from a 250GP bike to an Allez. Trying to average 5hrs/100miles a week, plus family, plus two careers. But I am just not happy with gear selection. Some of the ratios seem redundant. It’s like a 16 speed is really a 7 speed. So doing some math I thought about a new gear set.

I ran the stock 50/34; 11/32. I dropped an 11/28 in and was going to invest a 12/25 when I came up with these numbers

42/30 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23. I live in Florida, very flat, and realize that I will regear if the elevation delta changes. I have a friend that runs 1x12. To me this is more like a 16sp transmission I would expect. Linear shifting... up three in the back slip over one in the front and then adjust.

Appreciate the feedback

Martian

MARTIAN

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    If it's really flat then maybe 1x would be the way to go. Pair a 42t chainring with an 11-32 cassette and it would give you the spread that you said you wanted above.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638
    I don't really understand the question. What are you after - a really close set of gear ratios?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I assumed the OP was talking about not using all of the gears on his Allez and wanting a different set up to rectify this, hence my suggestion.
  • My question is has anyone tried this gear profile and what are the results or why you would not try this gear profile?
    MARTIAN
  • macneill72i71bYfzG
    edited April 2021

I assumed the OP was talking about not using all of the gears on his Allez and wanting a different set up to rectify this, hence my suggestion.

Well the Martian picture is copyrighted, and my FiST tab is all I got!

MARTIAN

• This is the current set...
    I can’t pull 2x6 for two long, and down hills don’t exist. Maybe that will shed some more light on my purpose.
    MARTIAN
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    The gearset you propose might be linear, but it looks too low - especially for someone living in a flat area who's expecting to average 20mph on their rides.

I run a 1x11 setup on my winter bike - it has a 42 front and an 11-32 rear giving my a highest gearing of 42/11 and I'm spinning out at a little over 30mph - your proposed highest gear would be 42/13 if I understand you correctly.

I assume you're running Shimano Sora 8 speed - so if you want a more usable gear range, then why not go with one of the standard Shimano closer cassettes (12-23, 12-25, 13-26) and leave the 50/34 front alone and see how that works for you?

If you decide it's not working then you can switch to a different chainring setup once you've ridden it for a while.
  • singleton said:

The gearset you propose might be linear, but it looks too low - especially for someone living in a flat area who's expecting to average 20mph on their rides.

I run a 1x11 setup on my winter bike - it has a 42 front and an 11-32 rear giving my a highest gearing of 42/11 and I'm spinning out at a little over 30mph - your proposed highest gear would be 42/13 if I understand you correctly.

I assume you're running Shimano Sora 8 speed - so if you want a more usable gear range, then why not go with one of the standard Shimano closer cassettes (12-23, 12-25, 13-26) and leave the 50/34 front alone and see how that works for you?

If you decide it's not working then you can switch to a different chainring setup once you've ridden it for a while.

The 12/23 is definitely an option
    I can always up the teeth on both chain rings to increase my top end.

MARTIAN
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    On almost pan flat terrain you will probably end up using only four or five gears at optimum cadence at your optimum speed. I really can’t see the point in trying to get a full range of ratios with no crossover. Just spending money for the sake of it if you ask me.
  • On the flat I should really need one gear and just more rpm, I do ride a trainer as well, and there is one or two places around that have elevation changes. Maybe it’s the motorcycle racer in me but I seem to accelerate better than some of the stronger legs by using all the cogs to get to speed
    MARTIAN
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I think that’s in your mind....