Concerns and questions about the ZIpp 303s wheels (looking for experiences)

Hi all,

During the past few weeks I've been cracking my head on which +/- 850 GBP / 1000 EUR wheelset to buy. On paper (and based on reviews out there) the relatively new Zipp 303s wheelset looks fantastic and is often described as a game changer and the future of wheel design.

However, I'm still in doubt wether I should pull the trigger or go for an alternative I have on my list (such as the Vision SC 40, the Fulcrum Wind 40).

Some of my concerns:
- Since the Zipp 303 are hookless, I really struggle with finding a suitable tyre, the selection of seems limited and I can't find anything I really like (I've been riding Continental's for over 10 years without any issues and I can't find any hookless tyre which is similar to the GP5000s. Any recommendations / personal experiences?

- SInce the Zipp 303s are designed for tubeless (for the record this would be my first tubeless wheelset). Riding with an inner tube is not recommend by Zipp (but possible). As far as I understand going tubeless would allow for better puncture resistance. However in case of a puncture, according to Zipp it's possible to fit an inner tube and ride. Since I'm mainly doing long rides from point A to B, I need to have a solution which won't let me down. Anyone has hands-on experience with fitting a tube inside a tubeless tyre? Does this come with any additional challenges compared to replacing an inner on a traditional tyre?

- From what I can find, there is no reason for safety concerns when going hookless. However occasionally I read horror stories about tyre blow-offs etc. I'm a tall person so automatically a little bit heaver (1m93cm - 85kg). Should there be any real reason for concern (when of course not exceeding the recommended pressures).

Anyway, taking the above concerns into account would you recommend me to go for the Zipp's or go for a wheelset which allows going for a more traditional setup? Any personal experiences with these wheels out there?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    I would steer clear of hookless... seems one of those things that will quickly go out of fashion
    left the forum March 2023
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    edited April 2021
    ultimedia said:

Anyone has hands-on experience with fitting a tube inside a tubeless tyre? Does this come with any additional challenges compared to replacing an inner on a traditional tyre?

Yes, although on my MTB.
    The process is exactly the same just a lot messier - there's sealant everywhere in the tyre that you need to mop up and the new tube will end up stuck to the inside of the old tyre which can take some force to peel out when you come to make a permanent repair back home.
    With hooked beaded tubeless tyres, the tyre can sometimes be a PITA to get off too because of the tight fit.

I should add though, that on the plus side you get far, far fewer punctures with tubeless tyres.

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited April 2021

I would steer clear of hookless... seems one of those things that will quickly go out of fashion

Yep, it seems to be one of those 'advances' that appears to just benefit the manufacturer as it means it's cheaper and easier to make rims.

I'm unaware of other examples of hookless technology being used with the air pressures involved with road cycling but happy to be corrected.
    Right now as the OP states, hookless limits you greatly with tyre choice and also with practicality as you cannot use a tube.
  • ultimedia
    ultimedia Posts: 15
    Thanks all, I'll try to steer away from hookless for now and I'll just go for a tubeless ready set.

Also agree with the comment that going hookless is helping manufacturers in terms of weight and manufacturing cost.
  • playpen
    playpen Posts: 10
    I bought the new hookless 303 Firecrests a few months ago for my road bike. First time tubeless setup was a breeze, tyres seated with track pump and used Stans standard sealant.

I went for Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm tyres - but there were plenty of choices from Michelin, Pirelli, Zipp and Goodyear too.

Probably done 500 miles on them so far and no problems, ride is noticeably smoother running at 60/65psi and touch wood no you know whats!

I'm no skinny rider either at around 90kg. Really happy with the wheels.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I would look at handbuilt wheels too. You could get a cracking set with rim, hub and spokes of choice, including spoke count for that money.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255

Yep, it seems to be one of those 'advances' that appears to just benefit the manufacturer as it means it's cheaper and easier to make rims.

I'm unaware of other examples of hookless technology being used with the air pressures involved with road cycling but happy to be corrected.
    Right now as the OP states, hookless limits you greatly with tyre choice and also with practicality as you cannot use a tube.
    Articulated lorry tyres tend to be at that kind of pressure, don't know if they are hookless or not... you know the kind that you see shredded to pieces on the hard shoulder... :o
  • wayneabs
    wayneabs Posts: 63
    I've just taken delivery of the Zipp 303s after doing some extensive research they fit my bill

I've gone for the Schwalbe Pro One TLR tyres in 28mm, the hookless design gives a more rounded profile between the tyre and rim

You run the tyres at much lower pressures than normal, Zipp recommends for my weight of 75kg about 55-60 PSI which is nice and comfortable out on the road

They also come with a lifetime guarantee so you'll be hard pushed to find a better wheelset in that category if you are comfortable going tubeless

As mentioned with tubeless whilst you may get punctures, they will be resealed by the sealant, you will just lose a bit of air pressure whilst that happens

It's only if you're really unlucky and get a big gash in the tyre you would have to consider putting an inner tube in, you may be able to just pop a little plug in to help reseal and be on your way
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    When I was looking with this exact budget in mind, I shortlisted the Cero RC50, and Scribe equivalent, think the latter were lighter.

I only strayed from these as some bargain 2nd hand Enves came up for sale.

If I was looking again, I'd check the same two, but also add in winspace hypers.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • "Hookless wheels are doomed to go out of fashion". You know, like disc brakes, gravel bikes, beer, chocolate ...
  • wayneabs said:

I've just taken delivery of the Zipp 303s after doing some extensive research they fit my bill

I've gone for the Schwalbe Pro One TLR tyres in 28mm, the hookless design gives a more rounded profile between the tyre and rim

You run the tyres at much lower pressures than normal, Zipp recommends for my weight of 75kg about 55-60 PSI which is nice and comfortable out on the road

They also come with a lifetime guarantee so you'll be hard pushed to find a better wheelset in that category if you are comfortable going tubeless

As mentioned with tubeless whilst you may get punctures, they will be resealed by the sealant, you will just lose a bit of air pressure whilst that happens

It's only if you're really unlucky and get a big gash in the tyre you would have to consider putting an inner tube in, you may be able to just pop a little plug in to help reseal and be on your way

I've had 303 Firecrest 21's since April 21 and was so impressed I bought a second pair for the winter bike. First pair same set up as yours 4,000 miles in no punctures..... BUT NOW THE STORY GETS SHOCKING!
    In April 22 the rear wheel developed a crack around the valve hole. Zipp replaced took about a month.
    In September 22 the same thing happened on my front wheel.
    I am a 65 year old 74kg keen recreational rider, so have not hammered them.
    THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN, THEY HAVE A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE!
    Currently pressing Zipp for full disclosure of similar failures and a full refund!
  • Tubeless valve screw done up too tight?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    why should Zipp give you a "full disclosure of similar failures"?

tbh, it sounds like its user error.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

"Hookless wheels are doomed to go out of fashion". You know, like disc brakes, gravel bikes, beer, chocolate ...

Strange how these types of seemingly ignorant pro-industry posts sowing division often come from posters with zero history. Never quite know if it's BR trying to stimulate activity on the forum by trolling themselves, or bike industry astroturfers..