Mirrors

Are there any good looking mirror solutions for road bikes that doesn't make you look like a dork?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    I look behind me. And I listen. Seems to work okay.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited April 2021

I look behind me. And I listen. Seems to work okay.

When I go at decent speed, the wind is quite loud and I don't hear other bikes behind me.

And my attention is also on my power meter as I try to maintain an average power for let's say 3 hours, rather than having to twist my head backwards all the time to check nobody is on my wheel.

So a mirror could be the best solution actually. But the only concern I have is how it will look.
  • First.Aspect
    You can get bar end ones that aren't horrific. But to be frank, not many people use them for a reason. Same with sculling. They are small and it will take you longer to figure out what is in the postage stamp image than to just shoulder check. And you will get much more information from shoulder checking.

You just need to build up road riding skills. And city riding skills. For your own safety.
  • zest28
    edited April 2021

You can get bar end ones that aren't horrific. But to be frank, not many people use them for a reason. Same with sculling. They are small and it will take you longer to figure out what is in the postage stamp image than to just shoulder check. And you will get much more information from shoulder checking.

You just need to build up road riding skills. And city riding skills. For your own safety.

My skills are excellent, I never had a crash in 20 years.

The problem is people are jumping on my wheel when I am training and I am focussed on my power numbers with worse brakes than me. People are just stupid. Makes me consider just to train indoors where I can concentrate on my power numbers and do only outdoor riding for fun where I ignore power.

Are there any links for those mirrors btw? I will check some local bike shops later this week to see if they have some good solutions also.
  • First.Aspect
    There is so much wrong with this I can't even begin.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I definitely recommend you keep to your training indoors.

Then I won't have to come across you. "focussing on my power numbers". FFS. Focus on where you're going.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    This is a wind up, right 😊
  • zest28
    edited April 2021
    elbowloh said:

Then I won't have to come across you. "focussing on my power numbers". FFS. Focus on where you're going.

Please, nobody is constantly checking who is riding behind them. Unless they are in a group ride.

And I do pay attention where I am going, in front of me.

Stay of my wheel and you will have no problem. Why don't you buy an e-bike instead rather than wanting to get a free ride from other people drafting?

And this "drafting" is illegal with cars for a reason. So it is you who is creating all the risks.
  • elbowloh
    zest28 said:

elbowloh said:

Please, nobody is constantly checking who is riding behind them. Unless they are in a group ride.

And I do pay attention where I am going, in front of me.

Stay of my wheel and you will have no problem. Why don't you buy an e-bike instead rather than wanting to get a free ride from other people drafting?
    I constantly check behind me when I'm cycling on my own. Mainly looking out for idiot drivers rather than other cyclists.

A shoulder check takes no time at all and is just good practice to stay safe.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    No really people are checking behind them, particularly in town.

Anyhow, I'm off for a ride. I will focus intently on the map view of my Garmin so I can follow the road.
  • zest28

Anyhow, I'm off for a ride. I will focus intently on the map view of my Garmin so I can follow the road.

Not around here. Solo riders only check behind them when they make a pass to check if it safe to do so with other cars.

Good luck and have fun with your ride today. Thanks for the link of the mirror you suggested. It doesn't look that bad.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    zest28 said:

Are there any good looking mirror solutions for road bikes that doesn't make you look like a dork?

Garmin Varia
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    You should concentrate on what's around you rather than power if you're out in the real world

https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=9OrKLGEOVRA
  • First.Aspect
    zest28 said:

Not around here. Solo riders only check behind them when they make a pass to check if it safe to do so with other cars.

Good luck and have fun with your ride today. Thanks for the link of the mirror you suggested. It doesn't look that bad.
    When someone shoulder checks, it isn't like the Lance "look".

You need to understand that halfway competent urban cyclists really are aware of what's around them and really are checking all the time.

If you aren't you need to start.

You also need to find some low traffic routes in order to focus that.much on numbers. Or do that work indoors.

I can't remember the last time I needed to drop anchors at traffic lights, because you can see them miles away and you can reasonably expect them to turn red from time to time. They normally go via amber, which gives you loads of time.

If you aren't winding us up it is quite concerning.
  • elbowloh
    The ol' "stopping" or "slowing" call is also useful even for hangers on... assuming you're shoulder checking and know there is someone behind you.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    You'll go faster if someone is drafting you.
    Maybe that's a concern.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    When you learn to ride a motorbike, the lifesaver shoulder check is drummed into you. You're going to need an extra few watts to make up for the drag of a mirror too.

Have you considered that it could be your well-rounded buns and awesome guns pounding away while putting down all of the watts that are the attraction? Maybe wear something less revealing to put the wheel suckers off?
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Or more revealing? @johngti
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    tetley10 said:

Or more revealing? @johngti

They’d be swarming around him like flies, tet. It’d be crashes left right and centre once the rim brake boys get a sniff.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Ah, so that's what caused the problem, OP was concentrating on his figures rather than his surroundings, meanwhile the drafter was concentrating on the OP's figure rather than his surroundings.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916

Here you go op.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    joe2019 said:

zest28 said:

Garmin Varia
    This.

But if a cyclist appears on it it's because they are going much faster than you and thats depressing, so it's up to you...
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Perhaps you should get one of these camera/monitor combos

Or ..... far chicer and classier, learn to ride like this

https://dailymotion.com/video/x3c7lcv

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,601
    What are you training for? You know an actual race will involve other riders, right?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Maybe if you weren't so focused on your power you would have seen and anticipated the lights, easing up a little. That way you wouldn't have had to emergency brake at the point the bloke behind thinks you've committed (or can't see the lights for you), so his late stopping is not a result of having rim brakes, it's a result of the fraction of a second needed to start braking after you. Spatial awareness, no mirrors required.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Having a team car behind you and a radio system seems the only sensible solution to me. They can keep an eye on your world beating power numbers and tell them through your earpiece whilst you concentrate on pushing the cycling envelope.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Sounds like he could do with a moto or two clearing the road in front for him so can really concentrate on pulling those massive gears.

I'm actually starting to think full Presidential motorcade, lorries throwing out plastic tat to passing people, all that kinda stuff.

Perhaps tv cameras?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Phukk it, get that man a helicopter or two.

if anyone desrves it, he does.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.