Single speed conversion for turbo trainer

I'm converting a spare wheel with 8/9/10 10 speed freehub into a single speed. This is to go on my 11 x 1 hardtail.
The kits I've seen thus far are for 8/9/10 freehubs. My question is will it be OK to run an 11 speed chain with them. I don't want to pig about changing the chain between the turbo wheel and the 11 speed wheel if the single speed is likely to cause premature wear or bugger it up in any way.
Any ideas people?
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    As I understand it, the chain will be fine - the inner width that actually fits the sprocket teeth is the same for 10 and 11 speed chains, the only difference is the width across the *outer* ends of the roller pins, which is thinner on 11 speed by a fraction of a mm.

I’d think the main issue is the chain line you end up with. Leaving your 11 sp rear derailleur set in one gear (say, 7th position for example) to get quietest running on a trainer may mean your single speed kit has the sprocket very slightly offset one side or the other of the ideal spacing for that. You might need a tweak of barrel adjuster on cable tension for the mech to get it just right when you swap wheels.

It will work ok if not adjusted (maybe a little noisier, but on a trainer everything is noisy) but extended running on a trainer in one gear that’s not quite perfectly indexed will eventually wear both chain and sprocket faster.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Thanks for that Wheelspinner. Just confirmed as I thought.
    Understood comments about chainline.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130