Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Stem spacers spinning

2

Posts

  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 7,045
    edited 9 April
    Yes you need to say remove 5mm below and put 1cm above (except you might not like the look) so ideally remove say 5mm below, put in a 2mm and put the 5mm on top.



    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    elbowloh said:

    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:




    picture all spacers below stem atm reckon the gap at the top between stem and edge of steerer tube is between 1 and 2 mm

    Everything i've ever read on the subject says you need a spacer above the stem also to achieve compression.
    nah fam - so long as you have a gap between the seteerer and top cap it all works - no need for spacers above or below the stem



    It might "work", but all the manufacturer's instructions will say you need a small spacer above.
    it doesn't "work", it works.

    you just need a gap between the top of the steerer and the cap.

    whether this is provided by the stem or the spacer is a moot point.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089


    "works" for froome

    #quelsurprise
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    so long as both bolts are on the stem, all is cool.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113
    This is just one of many articles and forums saying you shouldnhave a spacer above the stem https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical-faq-spacers-above-stems/

    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    you're quoting a forum in a forum?
    top work.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    but no, you don't need to.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113
    MattFalle said:

    you're quoting a forum in a forum?
    top work.

    It's a Q and A.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited 9 April
    elbowloh said:

    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:




    picture all spacers below stem atm reckon the gap at the top between stem and edge of steerer tube is between 1 and 2 mm

    Everything i've ever read on the subject says you need a spacer above the stem also to achieve compression.
    nah fam - so long as you have a gap between the seteerer and top cap it all works - no need for spacers above or below the stem



    It might "work", but all the manufacturer's instructions will say you need a small spacer above.
    only because they're risk averse and want to be sure the stem is actually properly clamping on the tube and not crushing it by having a clamp above the top.

    SLAM IT. (just cut it properly too)

    EDIT: having a 5mm spacer above is worth doing not least because it gives you more flexibility. which might be to change stems or to rise slightly.

    Also this whole slam fetish thing is a bit daft really.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113
    david37 said:

    elbowloh said:

    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:




    picture all spacers below stem atm reckon the gap at the top between stem and edge of steerer tube is between 1 and 2 mm

    Everything i've ever read on the subject says you need a spacer above the stem also to achieve compression.
    nah fam - so long as you have a gap between the seteerer and top cap it all works - no need for spacers above or below the stem



    It might "work", but all the manufacturer's instructions will say you need a small spacer above.
    only because they're risk averse and want to be sure the stem is actually properly clamping on the tube and not crushing it by having a clamp above the top.

    SLAM IT. (just cut it properly too)
    That's not a description of being risk averse, that's a description of sound engineering and assembling as designed.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37david37 Posts: 1,313
    elbowloh said:

    david37 said:

    elbowloh said:

    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:




    picture all spacers below stem atm reckon the gap at the top between stem and edge of steerer tube is between 1 and 2 mm

    Everything i've ever read on the subject says you need a spacer above the stem also to achieve compression.
    nah fam - so long as you have a gap between the seteerer and top cap it all works - no need for spacers above or below the stem



    It might "work", but all the manufacturer's instructions will say you need a small spacer above.
    only because they're risk averse and want to be sure the stem is actually properly clamping on the tube and not crushing it by having a clamp above the top.

    SLAM IT. (just cut it properly too)
    That's not a description of being risk averse, that's a description of sound engineering and assembling as designed.
    well the whole system doesnt require a spacer above. it does require a sufficient gap between the cap and the steerer. Its easier to encourage the use of a spacer to achieve that since its more forgiving for home mechanics and more in line with most bike shop mechanics powers of thinking things through.

    The MFs are right. sort of
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113
    It's also to prevent crushing/fraying the carbon at the top of the steerer.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • masjermasjer Posts: 150
    edited 9 April
    Both ways are equally acceptable and have their advantages and disadvantages

    Spacer above- less critical cutting of steerer, more flexible height setting, slightly stronger?

    No spacer- neater, better if using a short bung/expander as the bottom of the stem is still supported internally.
  • masjermasjer Posts: 150
    If the OP is still around,
    When tightening the top-cap/preloading the bearings, don't overtighten the bolt. It can cause the bearings to bind and accelerate wear and pull up the bung. If using an allen key to tighten, just using the stubby side is enough
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 15,779
    Cutting a steerer to suit a slammed stem only requires a level of precision.*
    Using spacers requires less precision. Other than that a properly assembled headset and clamped stem is clamped regardless of the number of spacers.

    *It also requires never buying a higher profile stem.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lesfirthlesfirth Posts: 1,162
    FFS How long is this going on for? Anyone with half a brain who has never seen a bike before could have sorted this basic bike problem in a few minuets. Anyone without half a brain could have found out what to do on you tube even quicker.
    I just hope nobody with a rocket problem contacts this forum.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113
    lesfirth said:

    FFS How long is this going on for? Anyone with half a brain who has never seen a bike before could have sorted this basic bike problem in a few minuets. Anyone without half a brain could have found out what to do on you tube even quicker.
    I just hope nobody with a rocket problem contacts this forum.

    It's very unlikely.

    They'd go to Rocketradar.com.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • masjermasjer Posts: 150
    My thrust vectoring has gone haywire. Can anyone help?
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113
    masjer said:

    My thrust vectoring has gone haywire. Can anyone help?

    Hehehe.
    You said thrust.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    FFS.

    If everyone just listened to MF and slammed their stems and cut their steerers properly in the first place none of this would happen.

    its not that difficult.

    phat deep rims

    tubs

    slammed

    there. #sorted
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    edited 9 April
    elbowloh said:

    It's also to prevent crushing/fraying the carbon at the top of the steerer.

    do you know how difficult it is to crush a carbon tube from any direction, let alone with a 5mm allen key?

    no e-dude, no.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113
    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:

    It's also to prevent crushing/fraying the carbon at the top of the steerer.

    do you know how difficult it is to crush a carbon tube from any direction, let alone with a 5mm allen key?

    no e-dude, no.
    And yet people do and hence the torque limits on the bolts.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • masjermasjer Posts: 150
    MattFalle said:

    FFS.

    If everyone just listened to MF and slammed their stems and cut their steerers properly in the first place none of this would happen.

    its not that difficult.


    You better tell Froome his stem is setup all wrong. The fool has a spacer under the stem. (refer back to your pic)

  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    elbowloh said:

    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:

    It's also to prevent crushing/fraying the carbon at the top of the steerer.

    do you know how difficult it is to crush a carbon tube from any direction, let alone with a 5mm allen key?

    no e-dude, no.
    And yet people do and hence the torque limits on the bolts.
    no, they don't. they strip threads and phuck stuff.

    get a carbon tube and go and smack it with a hammer and see what happens.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    masjer said:

    MattFalle said:

    FFS.

    If everyone just listened to MF and slammed their stems and cut their steerers properly in the first place none of this would happen.

    its not that difficult.


    You better tell Froome his stem is setup all wrong. The fool has a spacer under the stem. (refer back to your pic)

    well, he did fall off going in a straight line and crash........

    not saying the two are connected but ......
  • masjermasjer Posts: 150
    edited 9 April
    True. Mmm and his recent loss of form.......maybe stem related too.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    well, I'm not saying thete isn't smoke without fire but Boonen didn't have any of that rubbish under his stem and never fell off into pavements.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    edited 9 April
    Geraint Thomas also has spacers under his stem and look at how he falls of basically every day.......
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 5,089
    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:

    MattFalle said:

    elbowloh said:

    It's also to prevent crushing/fraying the carbon at the top of the steerer.

    do you know how difficult it is to crush a carbon tube from any direction, let alone with a 5mm allen key?

    no e-dude, no.
    And yet people do and hence the torque limits on the bolts.
    no, they don't. they strip threads and phuck stuff.

    get a carbon tube and go and smack it with a hammer and see what happens.


    cool. and point proven.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 6,113




    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
Sign In or Register to comment.