Tora 302 question...

I bought a set of these (solo air, crown lockout ("TurnKey" as I've just discovered...)) back in July 2011 at a well decent price IIRC. Well, erm, the bike hasn't seen a lot of use in the last decade(got more back into road biking) but decided it was time to overhaul them and get out on it this summer when the floodgates open, and hordes of unwashed plague carrying staycationers descend on the Cairngorms...
Well, on pulling off the lowers for the first time ever I was pleasantly surprised that the stanchions and bushes etc are mint, like new even. I was planning a lower leg job but am now doing a full overhaul, but on removing the lowers I noticed there were no foam rings whatsoever on either side. The seals were a pig to remove too.
So I really don't think this is normal, missing foams, or does anyone have any knowledge that maybe this was once the case? They seem to have a "slightly wider than the bushes"(Maybe they are the upper bushings?) flat metal circular top below the seals and some strange wire circlip things in there too(!)
TBH the gap below the old seal and the upper internal leg is only 4mm

Got new foams/seals/service kit/oil in the post so will compare the old seals to the new and see what's what.... but no foams seems weird... just as well I haven't used it much lol...

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    No knowledge here, so I can only suggest using Google, but I guess you've already tried that. Good luck.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Rockshox service manuals are easily available online.
    Theyre quite good once you find your actual fork.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Not all forks had foam rings back then so it's not necessarily anything wrong with your forks.
    Have a read through THIS SERVICE GUIDE.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks for the replies- I have the Tora service manual (pics in B&W, think it's the oldest one now lol), and it does show them with the removal/installation of foams...