Slipping Chain

Hi
Just bought a Kona Stuff. Ive indexed the gears but when I put pressure down on my right foot, the chain slips. Ive had a look at the cassette & a few teeth are a bit bent & worn, only on the lower gears. I'm thinking I should just replace the cassette, chain, & possibly front chain ring. Its a shimano altus rear derailleur, 8 speed cassette, & single 34t chainring at front. Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking shimano cassette & chain, & new chain ring up front.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Sounds like you have answered your own question.
    New chain and cassette as a minimum and new chain ring if signs of excessive wear.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Just changed my chain and cassette. No more slipping of chain, but when I press hard down on right pedal, the rear derailleur extends and puts slack in the chain but then goes back again. Doesnt change gear just extends and goes back. Also, if I pedal backwards the chain comes off
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you pull your rear mech forward does it spring back.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited April 2021
    Every derailleur on every bike will extend when you tension the top strand of chain.
    The chain coming off when you back pedal is completely unconnected with that. It indicates to me that your indexing set up needs improving, or you are cross hobbled on a multi-front ring set up.

Edit: I can see from your initial post that you are 1x, but I included that last bit for others.
  • Ive solved the issue. The chainring was so worn that the teeth were "hooked" and holding back the chain whenever pressure was put on it. Replaced the chainring, runs like new now