Hillingdon reduced field, 30min Cat4 tactics

Hi all
know there is a previous post about this but it's 9 years old so the protagonists, equipment etc have moved on a bit so could do with updating.

Doing my first Cat4 crit at Hillingdon next week and was hoping to find a few others who are as well and get some tips on what strategy to try follow and what sort of ability is in the field.
If anyone wants to get super geeky and rattle off some w/kg requirements for the bunch, break and sprint too that'll be helpful.
There are 30 riders for round 1 over just 30 minutes.

looking forward to moving fast in a bunch again and to get a result and some points would be a big bonus.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    It'll start fast and no doubt some people will have got very fit over the last year so a bit like a Zwift race be prepared to burn matches at the start and stay near the front as there are usually a few dropped early and you don't want to be behind them.

It's 4th cats - you are all relative novices so if you do find yourself in a group with a gap work and encourage others to work - initially don't worry if someone is sitting on they might be on the limit.

In the bunch check who looks strong - who you might follow if they go - who looks sketchy and you might want to stay away from.

If you've got any mates in the race if one of you gets in a break it's amazing how going on the front if the bunch and riding tempo kills any chase.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073

Hi all
    If anyone wants to get super geeky and rattle off some w/kg requirements for the bunch, break and sprint too that'll be helpful.

This would be very hard for anyone to do as so much depends on your weight, size, equipment, and most importantly, skill and positioning in a bunch.

• If you've got any mates in the race if one of you gets in a break it's amazing how going on the front if the bunch and riding tempo kills any chase.

thanks that's good to know. no mates in the race, but are you saying try not miss a break as it's got a good chance of sticking?

I'd imagine over a 30 minute race it'll be a continuously high tempo with riders being dropped rather than a break getting away
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's 4th Cat. You might be lucky and find one guy willing to pull a half-dozen of you round ahead of the bunch!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DeVlaeminck

If you've got any mates in the race if one of you gets in a break it's amazing how going on the front if the bunch and riding tempo kills any chase.

thanks that's good to know. no mates in the race, but are you saying try not miss a break as it's got a good chance of sticking?

I'd imagine over a 30 minute race it'll be a continuously high tempo with riders being dropped rather than a break getting away
    No I don't think a break will stick
    - I mean it might - but you'll get far more out of the race if you go with a few moves and try and make them stick. No need to go with everything but getting in a move is good fun and good experience and if you come to do harder open road races breaks will stick so it's good to develop good habits.

It's like riding near the front - if you can develop that skill it's often easier - be prepared to roll through and if you find yourself on the front 30 seconds tempo then ease off - have a little chat - make friends so they let you back in. I used to ride at the back way too much because I'm a bit risk averse but the front is actually not that nervy - the middle of an 80 strong 3/4 race can be sketchy as **** though.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If it's your first race, realistically your objectives should be to

a) survive
    b) get round
    c) not get dropped

Anything over and above that will be a bonus. Learn from the first race and apply it to the next one. Forget talk about w/kg as it's largely irrelevant in a 4th cat bunch.

Every rider will have his/her own objectives for the race, so it's impossible to predict what will happen in the race itself. Generally, the only thing that is predictable about circuit racing is its unpredictability.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    I would add a point to what Imposter said

d) lock your car!

Hillingdon circuit is a magnet for the worst scum in west London!
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ^^ I'd agree with that. Generally, the only parking at Hillingdon is at either the Goals car park next door, or the road outside, which is basically the wild west for car thieves and opportunist smash n grabs...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Yeh it's a sh1thole.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

^^ I'd agree with that. Generally, the only parking at Hillingdon is at either the Goals car park next door, or the road outside, which is basically the wild west for car thieves and opportunist smash n grabs...

Agree with all above, I work just over the Parkway. If your likely to be sub 2hrs Lombardy retail park ie Sainsbury’s is far safer! And only a short walk/cycle across.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Survive, don't go mad, look after yourself!

If it helps, here was my first cat 4 experience:

I was a bit worried so I sat about 2 metres off the back at the start, lost the draft, never got back on.

Some obvious bits:

Watch your front wheel, don't overlap
    It will be all about the sprint, but hold your line at all costs!

I tended to watch out for the people who are likely less experienced at bunch riding - like no socks (triathalete) - but TBH as everyone has been on zwift I'd expect it to go off super quick, then never really settle down.

What I did notice in cat4 was that if someone attacked, the bunch would catch then nothing much would happen - so don't go chasing, but watch for changes in speed. in the higher cats there would always be a counter.

Try to enjoy yourself!
    Insert bike here:
  • In Zwift style, smash it out of the start gate at 125% FTP for at least 5mins and then cruise at 95% FTP until the final 300 metres, where you then smash out 15W/Kg. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DeVlaeminck
    So how did it go ?