Size is important, how much can I stuff in the back?

inkj
inkj Posts: 93

My partner has a Hyundai i20

Which seems to be labelled as a small hatchback

Dimensions: 4,035-4,040 mm L x 1,734-1,775 mm W x 1,460-1,474 mm H
Cargo volume: 301 to 326 L, 1,017 to 1,042 L with seat area

Now we are coming out of lockdown we were looking at going out places to ride, she can’t pedal too far, so ideally, we would have the option to take the bikes by car.

Her bike I have no worries about, it is smaller.

As we won’t use it often, I’d rather not [unless we have to] get any roof rack, or tow rack, or rear rack.

If I had to get one of those, as I guess the i20 doesn’t have a tow bar [?] and a roof rack seems a bit weird to me… I would get a rear rack.

My question is if anyone knows if my bike would fit inside the rear [with the car seats down]?

My bike is a Voodoo Bizango 29er Mens Mountain Bike

I like it being inside, as then it gets less damage from the conditions. It also feels more safe… both in not having people steal/ram the bikes, and the vision for the driver. Also, as we won’t use it often, it would be good to not spend money, as we don’t have a lot at the moment.

I’m hoping it will fit… ideally with the wheels on, as I am not confident in taking the back wheel off… I’m a bit of a novice to bike stuff.

Alas until the day of the trip - I have no access to the car to try it out for size. So I was hoping a bizango owner, or owner of a similar bike, and an i20 car would know, if it will fit.

VooDoo Bizango 29er Mountain Bike - 16"

I am new to transporting bikes by car… so thanks for any help/abuse

xx

Comments

• hortoncp
    hortoncp Posts: 3
    The simple answer is no. You won’t fit two bikes with their wheels on in the boot of that car. You’d probably struggle getting two bikes in just taking the front wheels off both of them to be honest. I completely get the thought of it being safer having the cars inside, but for ease of transport and lack of faffing, just get a decent rack either for the roof or for the rear. Both have their own pros and cons - ease of loading, impact on fuel efficiency, ease of fitting on the car, blocking access to the boot are all things to bear in mind. For what it’s worth, I have both roof and rear carriers and I always use the rear carrier and only use the roof when I have more bikes than the rear carrier can take.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    My wife has a Kia Rio, which is basically the same car as an i20. You can get 2 bikes in the back, but you'll need to take both wheels off. You might just about get away with leaving the rear wheel on if the frames are small, but I always found it easier just to take the wheels off, it's really not that difficult.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    hortoncp said:

The simple answer is no. You won’t fit two bikes with their wheels on in the boot of that car. You’d probably struggle getting two bikes in just taking the front wheels off both of them to be honest. ..........

I think you missed that the OP can drop the rear seats, so he's not just using the boot alone. Makes a massive difference.
  • hortoncp
    hortoncp Posts: 3

I think you missed that the OP can drop the rear seats, so he's not just using the boot alone. Makes a massive difference.

Nope, didn’t miss that, but stand by my comments given everything the OP mentioned.