Size is important, how much can I stuff in the back?

My partner has a Hyundai i20

Which seems to be labelled as a small hatchback

Dimensions: 4,035-4,040 mm L x 1,734-1,775 mm W x 1,460-1,474 mm H
Cargo volume: 301 to 326 L, 1,017 to 1,042 L with seat area

Now we are coming out of lockdown we were looking at going out places to ride, she can’t pedal too far, so ideally, we would have the option to take the bikes by car.

Her bike I have no worries about, it is smaller.

As we won’t use it often, I’d rather not [unless we have to] get any roof rack, or tow rack, or rear rack.

If I had to get one of those, as I guess the i20 doesn’t have a tow bar [?] and a roof rack seems a bit weird to me… I would get a rear rack.

My question is if anyone knows if my bike would fit inside the rear [with the car seats down]?

My bike is a Voodoo Bizango 29er Mens Mountain Bike

I like it being inside, as then it gets less damage from the conditions. It also feels more safe… both in not having people steal/ram the bikes, and the vision for the driver. Also, as we won’t use it often, it would be good to not spend money, as we don’t have a lot at the moment.

I’m hoping it will fit… ideally with the wheels on, as I am not confident in taking the back wheel off… I’m a bit of a novice to bike stuff.

Alas until the day of the trip - I have no access to the car to try it out for size. So I was hoping a bizango owner, or owner of a similar bike, and an i20 car would know, if it will fit.

VooDoo Bizango 29er Mountain Bike - 16"

I am new to transporting bikes by car… so thanks for any help/abuse

xx

Comments

• inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    I think this is in the wrong section. Whoops I should have posted it in MTB general - sorry. If someone can/wants to move it - please do.

Sorry x
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited April 2021
    One of the guys on the EMTB forum got two emtbs and his fellow rider and himself in a Fiat 500. The internet is full of stories of how many bikes and their riders can be fitted into often quite small cars. Your problem is an easy one.

For certain you will have to remove the front wheel and the pedals. Those two alone will make the bike flat at least (when you turn the bars). If you want to be certain it will fit, then learn how to remove the rear wheel. It is a lot easier if you don't have fitted mudguards. But this is the MTB section and we don't do fitted mudguards here. B)

Yes you could buy a boot rack, but they can cost ca. £100. The upside is that you don't need to dismantle the bike. But trust me on this, it can take longer to fit the boot rack to the car and then fit the bike to the boot rack (securely) than it would to remove the wheels and pedals in the first place. And of course "bike on boot rack" worsens your fuel consumption by a lot. Finally, you will never be able to leave the car & bike on boot rack in the Motorway service area while you go for a pee/coffee/whatever. The bike will not be there when you return. Or for the duration of your stop, you will be looking over your shoulder and wondering if it is still there!

You might think that a tow-bar is a better option. They cost a lot more to buy, you have to have your car fitted with a tow-bar, the fuel consumption penalty is even worse. You may believe that because tow bars come with lockable clamps, that your bike will be more secure. Not at all. The thieves just cut through the clamps as though they were made of butter. If you use a top of the range Gold Secure chain and lock, they will cut through the bike frame and steal the components.

Do whatever you can to get the bike inside the car! Thank me later!
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Now that's a very specific question. I considered some abuse rather than help, lol!😆

Obviously very difficult to say. I have a Seat Altea XL people carrier and with the seats down it's almost a van yet I still can't fit my medium bike inside without taking the front wheel off.

My Friend had a Range Rover and fit his Large Bizango in the back but he also had to remove his front wheel to do so.

Not 100% sure but doubt it based on the above experiences?

Edit:- I'll bow out now as no first hand experience with any bike racks in general and leave the more appropriate advice to Mr Sordy. 😎👍

• inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    Thanks ever so much

So it looks like...

It's best to have the bike in the car... I already annoy my poor mum by keeping it in her house when I visit her... so why not annoy my partner by keeping it in her car rather than outside.

I just need to get good at taking the front wheel off... and maybe the pedals - I have the tiny 'road' bike pedals [clips?] so may not need to come off.

Thanks again both of you xx
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I can get my trek fuel in the boot of my passat with the rear seats up but I take both wheels off and the handlebar. I have the position of the handlebar marked with a fine sharpie. It takes less time than you'd think to reassemble.
    Two bikes with the seats down should be easy.