friday and a partridge in a curry

2»

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Ride rided in the afternoon. Back to the winter gear, xxxx that wind was cold. Nice and dry though. And actually not that many people about for a holiday day, wimps don't like cold winds obvs.

Time to do something creative culinary wise, lamb involved, and pour a glass. Or 2. Or.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    edited April 2021
    nibnob21 said:

Morning, motorbike ride this morning then new bicycle fettling this afternoon.

Fettling has discovered that the long cage Apex 1 rear derailleur isn't compatible with a smaller range cassette, in that it seems to be impossible to set up the gear shifting properly (going from 12-42 to 11-28). Doh!

Only short cage derailleur in their 1x range is the top of the range Force. Bit annoying, should have checked the SRAM compatibility chart shouldn't I.

Luckily only £80 on CRC instead of the usual £200ish (and actually in stock). Result.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353

pinno said:

thistle_ said:

sungod said:

feels like february out there, brrrrrr

It's lovely here but I'm sitting on the garden out of the wind.
    Next door's black cat came to hide in the shade, I think he was a bit warm.

Decided I should get round to replacing that freehub body:

Which has involved cleaning up a rusty cartridge bearing a repacking with grease because LBS is shut for bank hols.
    Don't you think you should just ditch the whole wheel?
    What's wrong with it?
    It's filthy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    pinno said:

pinno said:

thistle_ said:

sungod said:

Which has involved cleaning up a rusty cartridge bearing a repacking with grease because LBS is shut for bank hols.
    What's wrong with it?
    It's filthy.
    It had been on an adventure, a wet and muddy one.
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

thistle_ said:

sungod said:

What's wrong with it?
    It's filthy.
    It had been on an adventure, a wet and muddy one.
    I'll let you off.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    pinno said:

pinno said:

thistle_ said:

sungod said:

What's wrong with it?
    It's filthy.

• pinno
    Woss that?!

Soap and water won't do it.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 said:

nibnob21 said:

Fettling has discovered that the long cage Apex 1 rear derailleur isn't compatible with a smaller range cassette in that it seems to be impossible to set up the gear shifting properly (going from 12-42 to 11-28). Doh!

Only short cage derailleur in their 1x range is the top of the range Force. Bit annoying, should have checked the SRAM compatibility chart shouldn't I.

Luckily only £80 on CRC instead of the usual £200ish (and actually in stock). Result.
    nibnob21 said:

nibnob21 said:

Fettling has discovered that the long cage Apex 1 rear derailleur isn't compatible with a smaller range cassette, in that it seems to be impossible to set up the gear shifting properly (going from 12-42 to 11-28). Doh!

I'm an idiot. B-screw adjustment has sorted it. Saved myself £80.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I was thinking it was a bit weird as I use a 28 or 30 cassette with a long cage Rival on a 1x on the Boardman in Italy and it works perfect but as I had had a couple of glasses of vino I didn't want to post up FAKE NEWS mistakenly.

Tip top tastic that its worked out though - any piccies of the bike?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I thought it was an excuse to splash out on shiny new bits. I've been cleaning up the bits off the damaged Boardman CX I stripped getting them ready for the bamboo frame. That has a Rival long cage and 1x set up. Do I build wheels up using the rear hub with an XD driver and wide range cassette or use a standard freehub and have access to cheaper cassettes in future?
    Also what rims? Carbon, Ali or wood? But wood would necessitate tubs.
  • MattFalle
    carbon deep rim. why would you possibly do anything else?

#rimming
  • nibnob21
    MattFalle said:

I was thinking it was a bit weird as I use a 28 or 30 cassette with a long cage Rival on a 1x on the Boardman in Italy and it works perfect but as I had had a couple of glasses of vino I didn't want to post up FAKE NEWS mistakenly.

Yeah I'd just swapped out the 42t cassette with 28t so knew exactly what the issue was in terms of why it wouldn't shift properly (upper jockey wheel being too far south of the cassette etc). Clearly was just having a brain fart by forgetting about the b-screw, maybe it's because it's been so long since I've had to touch one.

Don't think it helped that the SRAM compatibility manual says the long cage isn't compatible with 28t.

Clear head this morning resulted in the Eureka moment. Popped back out and sorted in a few seconds.

No pics to hand of the bike, just this of the cassettes.

• MattFalle
    ooooh - shiny clean sparkley!
  • MattFalle
    it happens sometimes - you look at things and look at things and it doesn't make sense then boom. done.

like the crank on the Pinarello last week.
  • pinno
    nibnob21 said:

I'm an idiot.

I'm not arguing. :)

• pinno
    nibnob21 said:

MattFalle said:

Yeah I'd just swapped out the 42t cassette with 28t so knew exactly what the issue was in terms of why it wouldn't shift properly (upper jockey wheel being too far south of the cassette etc). Clearly was just having a brain fart by forgetting about the b-screw, maybe it's because it's been so long since I've had to touch one.

Don't think it helped that the SRAM compatibility manual says the long cage isn't compatible with 28t.

Clear head this morning resulted in the Eureka moment. Popped back out and sorted in a few seconds.

No pics to hand of the bike, just this of the cassettes.

I got abuse for my 34t inner front ring so it only seems fair that you get abuse for that cassette.
  • nibnob21
    MattFalle said:

it happens sometimes - you look at things and look at things and it doesn't make sense then boom. done.

like the crank on the Pinarello last week.

Indeed, I was kicking myself yesterday for not foreseeing the problem in the first place, then kicking myself this morning for not seeing the obvious fix yesterday haha.
  • MattFalle
    well, i wasn't going to say anything but.....