Which bike?

Hi - in the market for a new bike. Due to availability issues the below seem to be my options. Any advice?

1) Trek Emonda SL 5
2) BMC Teammachine SL 4
3) Ridley Fenix SL Ultegra 2019
4) Bianchi Sprint 105 (Disc) 2020
5) Bianchi Sprint Ultegra (Rim) 2020

Thanks

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    All nice. Pick based on colour.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    There’s 2 Bianchis - is that because you prefer that brand?
  • No. The bikes listed are the ones available, in my size. I like the Trek but is the heaviest of the 5. The BMC is the most (just) expensive. The two Bianchis then to get advice on whether people thought 105 & disc was preferable to ultegra & rim.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Rim over disc any day of the week.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    All you will get is a range of opinions and no definitive suggestion other than go with the bike you prefer to look at.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Also dependent on what sort of use the bike is intended for.

For example I have a rim braked road bike that is used pretty much exclusively in dry weather. But I have a disc bike that is used pretty much exclusively for wet weather. The discs, for me, are better suited to that type of riding as the drop in performance is less than the equivalent rim brake, and the wet weather would lead to accelerated rim wear on the rim brake bike.

If it's for dry weekend riding then personally I wouldn't labour the rim brake vs disc brake debate too much and agree with the point above of just going with the one you like the most!
  • singleton
    edited April 2021
    "Go with the bike you prefer the look of".

I switched from rim to disc brakes and there's pros and cons.

There is more braking power available, and in the wet this difference is significant when you initially apply the brakes. However, you don't always need the additional power that's available since if you can lock a wheel with a rim brake then why do you need more power?

Discs are way more complex to adjust and maintain. I can setup and maintain rim brakes with a multi-tool but discs are a lot more involved and need more tools and know-how.

Aesthetics are a personal thing.

If you plan to ride a lot in the wet then I think the benefits of discs outweigh the downsides, but people (including me) managed for years with plain old rim brakes.

105 v Ultegra. I've had both and there is really not much in it if both are latest versions.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Of those bikes I have only had a Ridley. I regret selling it and I will be buying another as soon as I can justify it. If you ride one you will want one.
    105 v Ultegra? I have two bikes one with 105 ,the other with Ultegra. There is no difference in the way they do their job. The only difference is Ultegra is a bit lighter.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Disc winter bike, rim summer bike, simples.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    singleton said:

Discs are way more complex to adjust and maintain. I can setup and maintain rim brakes with a multi-tool but discs are a lot more involved and need more tools and know-how.

If you plan to ride a lot in the wet then I think the benefits of discs outweigh the downsides, but people (including me) managed for years with plain old rim brakes.

Don’t agree re complexity of discs. All of the disc callipers I’ve had (Tekro, Avid and Shimano) have required no more than a couple of Allen keys to adjust or even renew pads. These have all been cable operated so hydros will differ but after running rim brakes for many years using discs on a couple of bikes hasn’t required more complex skills or tools. They probably need more frequent adjustment for wear as the pad material is so thin but I love the lack of wheel rim wear, the muck associated with the pad wear and the more consistent performance in all weathers.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    They're all good bikes TBH and you'll have a lovely time riding any of them. Get the one that fits you the best.
  • singleton
    andyrr said:

singleton said:

Don’t agree re complexity of discs. All of the disc callipers I’ve had (Tekro, Avid and Shimano) have required no more than a couple of Allen keys to adjust or even renew pads. These have all been cable operated so hydros will differ but after running rim brakes for many years using discs on a couple of bikes hasn’t required more complex skills or tools. They probably need more frequent adjustment for wear as the pad material is so thin but I love the lack of wheel rim wear, the muck associated with the pad wear and the more consistent performance in all weathers.
    Yes, I suspect that a very good compromise (although that's not a nice word) would be some good cable discs (flat mount TRP Spyres?) for winter use. The hydraulic part is a lot more involved than a cable.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    banditvic said:

Disc winter bike, rim summer bike, simples.

^^^This^^^
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    oxoman said:

TBH I dont find my hydraulic discs any harder to maintain than my rim brakes. If anything my cable TRP spyres need more maintenance. And as an opposite to some comments above my winter / commute come touring bike is rim brakes my disc bike gets used for summer dry rides, TT,s sportives etc.

Why?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    MattFalle said:

Rim over disc any day of the week.

^^This^^
  • Thanks all. Had no desire for a debate on rims v disc, was more bike specific. Gonna see the Sprint Ultegra (rim) in the flesh at weekend. Prob go with that.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Buy the blue one.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Wrong. Red, every time.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Mustard.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I checked out the Bianchi geometry chart - for me their height recommendations are out in that they'd have you riding a smaller bike than would suit most people. Just my opinion but something to consider.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]