Ribble R872 Disc

I've managed to get the green light from Tashwife to get the above through cycle to work. Only problem is that it appears the delivery estimate is currently September. Anyone have any other recommendations they've noticed recently that may be available sooner?

Ideally looking for Carbon, 105 & Discs for around £1,500 and available through C2W/Vivup.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Boardman SLR 8.9 Disc?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2369-slr-8.9-carbon-disc-2021.html

No idea about availability mind.
    Don't think there's much else out there that meets all of your criteria.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400

Boardman SLR 8.9 Disc?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2369-slr-8.9-carbon-disc-2021.html

No idea about availability mind.
    Don't think there's much else out there that meets all of your criteria.

yeah, I looked at that also. Not too keen on the drab colour and also no stock anywhere that I can get to reasonably.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    I've just got a bike through Ribble. It too had a claimed 6 month lead time, which seemed to be largely dictated by the crankset (date changed around quite a bit depending on which one I selected). Ordered the bike anyway as it's for a wet weather/winter commuter so September wasn't an issue for me...then it turned up after a week!

I found them fairly responsive to emails when I asked about something else so it may be worth contacting them directly to see how realistic that date actually is.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Dolan?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    My Endurance SL (with 105 and disks) was ordered right at the beginning of January and delivered mid March. One delay from the original expected delivery date (mid Feb) but they then pulled it forward two weeks from the second (end March).

First impressions are that Ribble have seriously stepped up the quality in the last few years and it's every bit the equal of a Canyon etc. And the second you have the bike, you'll forget how long the wait was. So I would just sit in the queue and wait it out (but take the step up to the Endurance if your budget can stretch!).
  • Tashman
    nibnob21 said:

I've just got a bike through Ribble. It too had a claimed 6 month lead time, which seemed to be largely dictated by the crankset (date changed around quite a bit depending on which one I selected). Ordered the bike anyway as it's for a wet weather/winter commuter so September wasn't an issue for me...then it turned up after a week!

I found them fairly responsive to emails when I asked about something else so it may be worth contacting them directly to see how realistic that date actually is.

cheers that's really useful
  • Tashman
    edited March 2021

My Endurance SL (with 105 and disks) was ordered right at the beginning of January and delivered mid March. One delay from the original expected delivery date (mid Feb) but they then pulled it forward two weeks from the second (end March).

First impressions are that Ribble have seriously stepped up the quality in the last few years and it's every bit the equal of a Canyon etc. And the second you have the bike, you'll forget how long the wait was. So I would just sit in the queue and wait it out (but take the step up to the Endurance if your budget can stretch!).

thanks for the info - can I ask what the real difference is you see between the 2 models? Been riding a while but never really got into the detail. They are both carbon, 105 & hydraulic disc, so what in the frame makes the difference?
    I'm currently on a 2012 Giant Defy 1 with 10 speed 105.
  • nibnob21
    Tashman said:

nibnob21 said:

Worth noting that it was a different bike to what you're looking at but the point still stands that it's probably worth contacting them. Couldn't believe it when a week after ordering I got tracking info sent to me by the courier! Ordered on the Friday and it was in my possession on the Monday 10 days later. Maybe I just got lucky.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    nibnob21 said:

Tashman said:

nibnob21 said:

Worth noting that it was a different bike to what you're looking at but the point still stands that it's probably worth contacting them. Couldn't believe it when a week after ordering I got tracking info sent to me by the courier! Ordered on the Friday and it was in my possession on the Monday 10 days later. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Or a cancelled build slot. I was talking to one of their mechanics, they’re building 400 plus bikes a week and couldnt keep pace with orders. Given the chat was 6-8 weeks ago with a wait time of then 3-4 months it looks like the orders continue to pile in.

Given the timelines It might be worth waiting until the autumn for eBay hardly used bargains...

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    Tashman said:

thanks for the info - can I ask what the real difference is you see between the 2 models? Been riding a while but never really got into the detail. They are both carbon, 105 & hydraulic disc, so what in the frame makes the difference?
    Endurance is just a nicer, more modern frame. Subtle aero tubing, well implemented internal cable routing, nicely hidden mudguard mounts, colour schemes that look amazing in the flesh (pictures do not so them justice).

I got the billy basic model but I have already got Prime carbon wheels and aero bars - it is a really solid base to upgrade on over time.

R872 is still a good bike, but the Endurance is just a couple of steps on again which to me was well worth the extra £3-400.
  • Tashman

Tashman said:

Endurance is just a nicer, more modern frame. Subtle aero tubing, well implemented internal cable routing, nicely hidden mudguard mounts, colour schemes that look amazing in the flesh (pictures do not so them justice).

I got the billy basic model but I have already got Prime carbon wheels and aero bars - it is a really solid base to upgrade on over time.

R872 is still a good bike, but the Endurance is just a couple of steps on again which to me was well worth the extra £3-400.
    Thanks, you might have made my mind up for me, now just to decide on red or teal :smiley:
  • Tashman
    Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Thanks, you might have made my mind up for me, now just to decide on red or teal :smiley:
    Gone red, waiting on my C2W voucher to confirm now. ETA July. lets hope I get it through sooner rather than later
  • nibnob21
    If it's the same red as the CX AL then it has a nice sparkle to it that you can't tell from the photos online.
  • Tashman
    Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Gone red, waiting on my C2W voucher to confirm now. ETA July. lets hope I get it through sooner rather than later
    Arriving tomorrow, wife's birthday today but I think I have the bigger smile :D