Should I buy this Wilier?

Hi guys. I’m new here, and quite new to cycling!
I’ve been offered a beautiful Wilier GTR from 2015. It’s full 105. He’s upgraded the chain set and breaks to the most current 105 too. He did have an issue where the derailleur snapped and scratched the chainstay quite badly. He says it’s just cosmetic and caused no damage to the frame. He’s sent videos and pics and, apart from the chainstay, it’s in great condition. I’m going to look at it tonight so will learn more.
He wants £1000 for it. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Not for a grand, it's not worth that. You could buy a brand new one with Campagnolo Centaur for £1400: https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-gtr-team-centaur-road-bike-205370.html
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Hard to argue with that ^
  • That was my first though too.. but with a £1k budget, £400 more is a fair bit.. he’s also upgraded the wheels to Mavic ksyrium elites, the chainset is the 105 7000, new 105 breaks...
    what should I be looking to pay, do you think?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Less than a grand. £800.

Chainset and brakes are nothing great - tbh difficult to call that an upgrade.

Wheels may be different but how much wear?

Then factor in wear on chain, cassette, etc etc and it all evens out.

Then plus the damage.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I’ve also seen this... does anyone know anything about the site?
  • Was meant to post with the above post!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2021
    I'd examine that damage very closely and be very careful about it.
    I'm with MF, £800 seems more reasonable for a 6 year old bike, I'd try haggling quite hard on it.

If I were you I'd spend my money on a Boardman SLR 8.9 (Just over a grand with BC Discount) or something from Decathlon.

• This is the bike in question. What do you think?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Got some close up shots of the damage?
  • Feel bad doing this! Hope the lad isn’t on here! Only fair though, I suppose...,

• Not the best pics, are they? I’ve tried to capture them from the video he sent me.
  • MattFalle
    800 at the most. Its a 6 year old mid range bicycle.
  • MattFalle said:

800 at the most. Its a 6 year old mid range bicycle.

What do you think of the damage, mate?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    From those photos it does look superficial but it's hard to tell without proper inspection.

I'd get him to send you some close up pics of the rims with a straight edge held against them to see how worn they are (I.e. is there any evidence of them becoming concave).

Would agree with the other posters about the value. It's an old-ish bike and not in brilliant nick. Unless there's a deal to be done I'd look for something new or a second hand in better condition.

• I’ve got a video of it, but can’t share it on here... So the advice is, it’s too expensive?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Yes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    As per Ben, too expensive.

Also, if he hasn't changed the levers to match the newer brakes, the pull ratios are out so they will work but just not as well as they should.

Thats worth £30 off in itself.

The brakes are only £60 the pair anyhow, so its not like he's put something cracking on and you're getting a deal.
  • MattFalle
    Re damage: can't really tell but if you are going ahead with the purchase thats more money/time on a bike that is only £800 worth anyway.

I'd look at Planet X if around a grand is your budget - full carbon, Force, hydro disc, brand new - £1300?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    The price is way too high in my opinion. I have a disc version that I think is a great bike but this bike is over 5 years old going off the seat stay / seat tube junction.
    The value of the wheels depends on brake surface wear and rim width. Wide rims are now in fashion to suit wider tyres.
    In 2017 I paid £ 1080 for a disc version in Chainreaction end of year sales.

• cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    The first bike you’ve shown is a GTR. The one shown in your website picture is the later GTR Team. The frames are different, the Team being an improvement so say. When you say latest 105 you need to find out if it is the actual latest ie R7000 or the previous 5800 series. The GTR was supplied with 5800 brake levers and BR561 brakes. The 5800 brakes are a straight replacement for the BR561 - pull ratio isn’t a problem in this case. Similarly the original chainset would have been a RS500 or RS510 and replacing this with a 5800 type is no problem although the weight saving isn’t much

IMO, £1000 is OTT and even £800 seems pricey to me
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    If you are new to cycling are you sure that the bike will fit you?
  • MattFalle
    From the sounds of everyone on here it sounds like give it a miss and look at Planet X.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Everyone happy this isn't a stolen bike getting valued?
  • MattFalle
    Yes.
  • Well, I purchased the bike. Seller had 6 bikes, all kept immaculately. He used to work for Ribble. I took an experienced cyclist friend with me, and we agreed, it was a lovely bike. Have I paid over the odds... possibly. Do I love the bike... most certainly,
    Thanks for all your opinions though. 👌👌
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Well, I purchased the bike. Seller had 6 bikes, all kept immaculately. He used to work for Ribble. I took an experienced cyclist friend with me, and we agreed, it was a lovely bike. Have I paid over the odds... possibly. Do I love the bike... most certainly,

You'd didn't pay the £1k did you?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Well, I purchased the bike. Seller had 6 bikes, all kept immaculately. He used to work for Ribble. I took an experienced cyclist friend with me, and we agreed, it was a lovely bike. Have I paid over the odds... possibly. Do I love the bike... most certainly,

No, mate. £900!!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

elbowloh said:

No, mate. £900!!
    The seller will be grinning from ear to ear, but if you are happy as well, no problem.
  • Just coming back to this.... I’ve just checked on EBay and it seems I paid a reasonable price for my bike. Perhaps even cheap! What were you all on about?!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I wonder why you feel the need to keep justifying your purchase.