Group set replacement for Cannondale Quick carbon hybrid.

Hi , I have recently purchased a full carbon frame hybrid in order to do some bigger (for me) distance road cycling (am entering some 50- 60 mile road rides) . I can’t really ride in drop handlebar position any more , and switched to more upright hybrids a few years back for shorter rides (30-50k).
I have more time now for longer rides and so thought I’d upgrade to a carbon frame, but the bike I have purchased has 2X9 Shimano Sora groupset, giving me less range than my older bikes 3X9 SRAM x5. As I’m getting a bit long in the tooth I do need some help with bigger climbs, but I want to keep the weight down and perhaps get a smoother change.
I am considering upgrading to a 2X11 set-up (with perhaps 52 teeth cog on the cassette) - potentially Deore-XT...but interested in opinions .
Thanks for any views, RichL68

Comments

• Sorry - I meant 52 teeth on the chainring!
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited March 2021
    You could just change your rear derailleur for a 9 speed alivio one and then get a 12-36 rear cassette. Would be the cheapest way of giving you more range.

But I don't think MTB gearing would be very good for a road bike has you will keep running out of gears when going down hill.

Mixing Shimano GRX and 105 will probably give you what you want, if you want 11 speed. You can get a 11-40 GRX on the rear and then a 50-34 105 on the front. Would need to get Shimano 105 flat mount shifters with that as Shimano don't seem to offer GRX flat mount shifters.
  • Good point Mark- I was getting road/MTB groupset mixed up because my older hybrid has a MTB groupset, whilst the new one has Sora (road).
    Thanks for the GRX/105 suggestion - I’ve not looked at GRX before as I don’t understand what “gravel” biking is really (“slightly off-road”?). WHy do you suggest that rather than 105 throughout?
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited March 2021

Good point Mark- I was getting road/MTB groupset mixed up because my older hybrid has a MTB groupset, whilst the new one has Sora (road).
    Thanks for the GRX/105 suggestion - I’ve not looked at GRX before as I don’t understand what “gravel” biking is really (“slightly off-road”?). WHy do you suggest that rather than 105 throughout?

You can have cassettes with bigger range if you go for GRX on the rear (11-42) where as 105 just goes up to 11-34 (will be easier when going up steep hills). GRX only goes upto 48 on the front (but you said you wanted 52 which means going 105 there).

Edit: taking a further look online, it looks like the there might be some compatibility issues mixing a GRX 11-42 and a large front chainring. So to save compatibility issues, I would just go full GRX (so maybe a 46/32 up front) for the gearing and then get the 105 flat mount shifters.