Lever release axle for Manitou Markhor

flight996
flight996 Posts: 15
edited March 2021 in MTB general
I have a Merida Big Nine SLX 29er. It has Manitou Markhor forks and boost style through axle.
I am considering swapping the standard thru axle for a lever or QR style axle.
The standard axle specs are 110mm x 15mm, boost, M15 thread, 15mm thread length and 1.5 pitch.
Has anyone purchased a suitable lever or QR axle, and from where please?
Cheers
F

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    edited March 2021
    I've converted the other way on my bikes as the levers eventually fail which is really frustrating.

Chainreaction sell a brand x version. (out of stock)
    Option 7 is a for the “Boost” version of  RockShox suspension forks with the 15x110mm axle standard and that also use the “Maxle” system with an M15x1.5 thread pitch.

In short a boost 15mm maxle might be compatible but ive never seen a manitou fork so cant confirm for sure.
  • flight996
    Thanks for your response mully79
    I previously considered Option 7, but the thread length is 11mm, rather than 15mm. Otherwise it's perfect.
    I am unsure whether 11mm is sufficient, and would welcome your view on this. My riding style is XC, gravel and road only.
  • flight996
    edited March 2021
    On further investigation, it seems that only the Manitou QR15 axle kit fits the Markhor fork. That's because it has a hexagonal locking arrangement. See URL below:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/manitou-qr15-axle-kit/rp-prod119768
    Cheers
    F
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Wow, Who on earth dreamt that hex lock nonsense up ?

No easy home fix if that breaks.
  • flight996
    It's supposed to add stiffness and prevent axle roll, but the downside is industry-wide incompatibility with anything other than Manitou. Maybe I will just by some extra 6mm allen keys.
    Cheers
    F
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    No problem with having extra 6mm Allen keys, they fit my front and rear axles and my pedals of course.

I used to put my bike in the back of my car and needed to remove the front wheel and the pedals. Needing an Allen key to do so was never a problem. However, when I had a bike with a QR axle, after two years, I noticed that the QR lever was wearing.

Unless it is a big inconvenience, I would retain the bolted axle.