Upgrade to Triban RC 500 flat bar - will I notice the difference?

Hi guys

I've had my eye on this bike for a while where you seem to get a lot of bike for your money: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-500-flat-bar-road-bike-black-sora/_/R-p-306215

I've had a Giant Escape 3 hybrid for the last few years which is pretty basic but it does the job for my 7 mile commute over mostly cycle paths which takes me about 30 mins. The Giant isn't particularly light and I also carry a pannier bag with a laptop, clothes etc which adds to the weight. Occasionally I tow my son using a Trail Gaitor bar (for fun, not to work!). I would need to transfer all these accessories to a new bike.

My question is, am I likely to notice any difference by upgrading to the Triban? Will the bike be noticeably faster or lighter? Or in all likelihood will it just be a bit smoother and nicer to look at?

It's difficult for me to test the Triban as my nearest Decathlon store is 100 miles away and I would be ordering online. It does have very good reviews though.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Comments

• smethley
    smethley Posts: 45
    I can't see the weight making much difference on your rides as described.

Better / more suitable tyres can help, maybe, but what really helps with speed is riding any bike more.

But I have one of the Triban range and I do rate mine very highly, so I'd say buy it if you like the look of it. If you like it perhaps you'll ride it more?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Just bought an RC500 drop barred bike at a reduced price as it was a customer return "2nd life" they labelled it. Really nice bike, feels quite a bite more responsive than I feel it should be as it's relatively low end Shimano groupset along with the other equipment but so far I love it. Brakes (Tekros) aren't super sharp, better pads might help.
  • jbp
    jbp Posts: 3
    Don't think it's going to make much difference other than the gears are two or three tiers up on the RC500 so will likely shift a bit sweeter. Otherwise you are looking at two alloy bikes with carbon forks with mechanical disks.
  • Thanks for the replies.

You’ve confirmed what I suspected...I might try changing the tyres on my Giant to see if there’s any improvement. Currently running Vittoria Randonneurs which I chose for puncture protection but it seems at the cost of rolling resistance. Schwalbe Marathon Supremes appear to have reasonable puncture protection and rolling resistance.