Dropper seat post rotation on Whyte 529

Hi All, I've not long had a Whyte 529 and I've noticed the seat post rotates in the dropper tube very slightly, maybe a few mm either direction. It may have always been like this since I've had the bike, but I only found it yesterday when adjusting the seat angle and applying some lube to the dropper tube that contacts the frame to remedy the creaking noise I had. Now I've noticed this slight rotation and wondered if it was normal and whether it was most liekly there all along. To give a little more detail, incase it matters, the seat post is raised about 6-7inches. The dropper tube (if thats the right name) is fully down in the frame. Does anyone have any experience? Is it normal for a dropper (i've nto had oen before) and is it a problem? Finally, how do I fix it.....I've onyl done about 150miles, so surely cant need servicing? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited March 2021
    There are at least one and maybe as many as two keyways to stop the dropper from rotating. As the dropper wears, the clearance between the key and the way it slides in increases. This is a very minor rotation if measured at the keyway, but this is magnified by the size of the saddle. It has happened to every dropper I have ever had (four different types, but more actual droppers) and I am no longer concerned about it. My bum cannot tell that the saddle is moving, can yours?

The fault to watch out for is when the saddle drops a few mm. Once this starts it will steadily get bigger. It does not affect the operation of the dropper until the amount gets too large for comfort. This has been terminal on every dropper I have had and you are recommended to watch out for it and to lodge a warranty claim.

All the servicing it needs is to keep the stanchion clean. I wipe mine before every ride and apply some wet lube in a circle. Then cycle the stanchion up and down a few times. This will float up any muck trapped in the wiper seal. Then wipe off any free lube and muck. The dropper can be sent off for a service an an annual basis, but this may not be cost effective depending upon your dropper.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    What Steve says but I will add that seals can be damaged by dried hardened dirt therefore it makes sense to do Steves pre-ride routine after a ride as well.
  • Perfect - thanks for the replies. At least I know its normal. Will take up the routine advised.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Maybe I should clean the stanchions after a ride instead of before it.