Alternative to Ultegra cranks?

I know I should understand what's what etc but cranks seem to be a bit of a minefield.

I fancy something non-Shimano for a crankset. 24mm spindle, suitable for a Trek BB90 (or 92 or whatever). I'd rather not fiddle about with changing bearings for a GXP fitting if poss as there's currently no creaks or problems with it and I don't want to tempt fate. Any ideas? Got to be at least as "good" as Ultegra.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    24mm spindle limits you a bit. I like my Rotor cranks, they seem very well made, how about this:

https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/rotor/road/cranks/aldhu/aldhu-spider-mount-crankset-kit-24-mm.html

Why aren't you sticking with the Ultegra one?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    FSA are all 24mm spindle and just slot straight through.

I use and SL-K light with no issues, have also used Gossamer with no issues.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

24mm spindle limits you a bit. I like my Rotor cranks, they seem very well made, how about this:

https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/rotor/road/cranks/aldhu/aldhu-spider-mount-crankset-kit-24-mm.html

because they are ugly, heavy, not actually that great and cost a fortune to replace the chainrings.

they also have Ultegra written all over them....
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    MattFalle said:

because they are ugly, heavy, not actually that great and cost a fortune to replace the chainrings.

they also have Ultegra written all over them....
    Mind reader too?
  • MattFalle
    The MFs have many powers.....

Tbh, Ultegra cranks are fine if you need something to put on a bike when ypu are selling it and want to keep the good stuff that is on there. Apart from that, errrr, no thank you.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

I probably am but it’s always nice to look at other cranks.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    Was just having a look around and ouch we are feeling the Brexit effect on distributors...

Best alternative I could find was FSA K Force light at £165 from CRC (which are nominally 10 speed but probably OK).

But my conclusion would be that with prices where they are at the moment you would need to really really hate Ultegra to bother to change. Even the hated Ultegra is £200+ now... so at least you would recoup something if you wanted to move it on.

FWIW I have never understood the Ultegra hatred. Surely the USP of Ultegra is that it's good enough to race on, but not so expensive that you can't replace it if you crash? It's not going to gain posing points at the cafe but that's never been what it was about. It's supposed to be solid, functional, not let you down, VW Golf sort of stuff.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    It’s all a bit mad isn’t it! Ultegra is fine, on reflection 🤣🤣
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    TBF, Shimano is usually reliable when it comes to most components but the Ultegra and Dura Ace chainsets have a known issue where the driveside crank separates from the rest of the crank.