100th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (2021) ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865
    Sep kuss running out of legs at the end and the old guy turning him over was a late surprise
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Never been a fan of Valverde but that was some spirit he showed today.
    Pity the cameras missed most of Esteban’s move
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    That was a fun last 10km. Ineos looking very strong now. 1,2 and 4 on gc will be tough to shake
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Managed to catch it at work, great finish, looked a tough climb. Today’s stage looks very hard.

The Froome thing, I guess he might have some altitude hangover and it’s a complete unknown his recovery but he’s going to have to start showing form soon. Isn’t he doing another altitude block after this then Romandie? If he’s getting dropped at Romandie or still no progression you have to wonder if he will be able to get back to a competitive level this year or at all.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I keep watching out for Froome losing time in races like this then expecting him to have at least one day of giving it a go, getting in a break, etc because the peloton would just let him get away with it. The fact that he doesn't seems to be telling a rather disappointing story, when what I want is the fairytale recovery one.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim said:

I keep watching out for Froome losing time in races like this then expecting him to have at least one day of giving it a go, getting in a break, etc because the peloton would just let him get away with it. The fact that he doesn't seems to be telling a rather disappointing story, when what I want is the fairytale recovery one.

I’ve never been an Uber fan boy but I’ve always liked watching him race and and think he’s come in for unfair flack both while racing and now with his seeming struggle to recover fully. I’d love to see him recover to the point where he’s at least up at the front being competitive. Good luck to the guy giving it a go though, has been through a lot. Don’t really get a lot of the sneering on social media but I guess that’s more indicative of social media than anything.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Today we will get to find out if anybody didn't go all in for yesterday's tough finishing climb, as this is unquestionably the Queen stage. 3000 metres of climbing over three serious climbs, although none of them go as high as yesterday.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

larkim said:

I’ve never been an Uber fan boy but I’ve always liked watching him race and and think he’s come in for unfair flack both while racing and now with his seeming struggle to recover fully. I’d love to see him recover to the point where he’s at least up at the front being competitive. Good luck to the guy giving it a go though, has been through a lot. Don’t really get a lot of the sneering on social media but I guess that’s more indicative of social media than anything.
    Same, I think it would be a great story and I think he deserves to join the 5 x club (a la Cav and the number of tour stage wins)... But I'm losing faith that it will happen
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    ddraver said:

larkim said:

Same, I think it would be a great story and I think he deserves to join the 5 x club (a la Cav and the number of tour stage wins)... But I'm losing faith that it will happen
    Currently looking about as likely as Tiger breaking Jack Nicklaus's record for major wins...

• blazing_saddles
    Break: Bouwman, Champoussin, De Gendt, Dombrowski, Kamna, Meintjes, Pedrero, Pedro Lopez, Samitier, Tolhoek, Uran and Valter.
  • blazing_saddles
    Major commentary problem today.
    3 “Lennie” Kamnas in the first 5 minutes as he’s gone solo from the break.
  • mididoctors
    Is there any evidence super tucks have caused crashes even in amateur races?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

He looks good on it though. Mute on.
  • blazing_saddles
    Hirschi lasted all of 2 minutes
  • blazing_saddles
    Same with Froome
  • yorkshireraw

We just had an 'unzipped and ready for action'.
  • yorkshireraw

Hirschi lasted all of 2 minutes

Obviously the new bike isn't as good as his previous one ;-)
  • blazing_saddles
    This has a familiar look to it.
  • yorkshireraw
    Yates (A) currently has Carapaz (1st Giro, 2nd Vuelta), Thomas (1st & 2nd in Tour) and Porte (3rd in Tour) leading him up the mountain.
  • blazing_saddles

Yates (A) currently has Carapaz (1st Giro, 2nd Vuelta), Thomas (1st & 2nd in Tour) and Porte (3rd in Tour) leading him up the mountain.

Kruijswijk has had enough of it all.
    After a brief flounce of the front he has bailed out the back.
  • mididoctors
    Ineos bossing it
  • mididoctors
    Chavez saving us from boredom
  • yorkshireraw
    LL Sanchez riding alongside a lot of small climbers, looks like a Dad out chaperoning the young lads group.
  • mididoctors
    Lol
  • mididoctors
    Carapaz fading
  • mididoctors
    Yates looks insanely comfortable
  • mididoctors
    Carthy ?
  • blazing_saddles
    Dear me this was dull.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Porte bringing it back like the good old days...
  • blazing_saddles
    Probably the worst mountain stage I have ever witnessed.