Gears hunting on rear cogs

Hi guys,just bought my son a cuda trace 20" wheel bike and it came boxed so had to put together.
Gears are hunting in the mid range of cogs.
It's fine on biggest and smallest.
Whats best way to adjust.
I've also got the same issue on my year old cube attention.
Bike shop offered a new bike service after initial breaking in but bike shop is in Swindon and I'm in London so wanted a go myself.
Cheers

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Get the manufacturer's instructions for your rear derailleurs. Set up the derailleurs by following the instructions. Now you will know how to adjust them in the future if there are any indexing problems.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    wongataa said:

Get the manufacturer's instructions for your rear derailleurs. Set up the derailleurs by following the instructions. Now you will know how to adjust them in the future if there are any indexing problems.

Yep, second disc alternatively search YouTube for vids on indexing gears. Pretty easy once you know how it all works and you can transfer that knowledge onto any other bikes you get in the future.
  • Cheers guys,will look into it.
    I've done front derailleur before and also the limit screws on rear ones but never the indexing part.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    If you get the limit screw setting perfect then the only other adjustment is for the cable tension. Sometimes it seems to be a real faff - I’ve found that having the bike in a stand where I can make tweaks and get to the point where the mech just allows the chain to move to the largest/smallest cog is much easier than doing it on the ground.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Back to basics: This may seem a silly point, but does your shifter match the number of gears in the cassette?