Trek Emonda SLR6 BB crack

josehernandez
josehernandez Posts: 243
edited March 2021 in Workshop
Bought this bike used in Jan 2019 and within the first few weeks of owning I started having problems with creaking from the BB which has never been resolved. In a bid to solve the issue I took it to my nearest TREK dealer and the issue still continued. In exasperation I took the bike to my local bikeshop and when my crankset was removed a crack was discovered around the outside of the non drive side of the bottom bracket which had previously not existed.
Advice?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,299
    Do you know it wasn't there before? How can you be sure if it wasn't visible with the crankset fitted. I think you're probably a bit stuffed, no frame warranty as you bought the bike used. If you think the bike shop did it doing the work it's going to be difficult to prove. You will have to have a difficult conversation with them. Talk to them calmly and see what they say. Certainly don't start by being stroppy or threatening anything, if you are reasonable with them hopefully they will be reasonable with you.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    pour some araldite in through the seat-tube.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Contact a company that repairs carbon fibre bikes, see if it’s fixable. It’ll be a lot cheaper than a new frame.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not even sure that's an actual crack. Certainly a paint crack, but having paint shrinkage and cracking around that area is not unusual. If your BB is creaking, then I doubt if that's the cause. More likely to be related to it being a press-fit.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    The creaking could be down to BB90 being sh1te.
    Trek actually sell V2 oversized bearings for BB90 frames where there's creaking, maybe they could work if you Loctite them in?

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/1946/trek-trek-bb90-shimano-gxp-drive-v2-os-bb-bearing-527823/

I'm with Imposter, looks like just a paint crack to me.
  • josehernandez
    edited March 2021
    veronese68, the crack was there before but faint & barely noticeable. I'm not sure how it was done and by whom and as you say it would be impossible to prove.

imposter2.0, the last mechanic said similar. Just want to ensure neither issue is connected.
    I've emailed the Trek dealer that the bike was bought from and depending on the reply, after lockdown will probably take it up for them to inspect and get them to install new BB and components. Surely as a TREK dealer thay will be able to sort the BB90 once and for all.
  • josehernandez
    edited March 2021

The creaking could be down to BB90 being sh1te.
    Trek actually sell V2 oversized bearings for BB90 frames where there's creaking, maybe they could work if you Loctite them in?

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/1946/trek-trek-bb90-shimano-gxp-drive-v2-os-bb-bearing-527823/

I'm with Imposter, looks like just a paint crack to me.

Thanks for your advice. The previous mechanic I took the bike to installed V2 bearing/s(can't remember whether he did both or only "nds") which quitened things down for two or three rides. Interestingly he said then the "non drive" side bearing was rough and the "drive side" fine and that is how it is now.
    Whenever I have suggested the loctite procedure to mechanics they recoil in horror but I'm hoping with it being a common issue on BB90's the original outlet will have more idea.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    Bikeradar did a bit of BB90 and recommended loctite to sort the issues too:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/features/bb90-vs-t47/