friday observing a quantum cheshire cat with neutron interferometry

2»

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Stevo_666 said:

Here's me explaining to Seano that it's actually because I'm far away:

https://youtu.be/MMiKyfd6hA0

I need to rewatch father Ted. Unless someone is to tell me it hasn't aged well.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    seanoconn said:

I don’t want more, I WANTED A FRIGGING PASTY!

Wasn't quite a pasty, but had a cheese and spinach filo pastry thing from the Greek deli and baklava for lunch.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

Going to Guildford registry office to register elbow child 2. Parked by the canal for a spot if lunch first

no matter what mrs e and you have decided for a name for e2, just change it to whatever you want when you're in there.

once e2 is registered there is nothing mrs e can do about it.......
    They're only letting one parent in due to COVID and they prefer the mother. So I'm in the car outside waiting with child 1
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Having gone to a catholic shool not a milllion miles away from your current location I can safely say that there is plenty nothing there to get offended by. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone looked hard enough to find something to be offended by.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Its still massively rewatchable. My favourites are the 'far away' episode (Hell); the one where he's accused of being a racist; the priests over-75 five a side footy game, or the one where he has to kick Bishop Brennan up the ar$e.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Watched Father Ted again with the kids recently. It’s still funny.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666

hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Having gone to a catholic shool not a milllion miles away from your current location I can safely say that there is plenty nothing there to get offended by. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone looked hard enough to find something to be offended by.
    Like this?

https://youtu.be/NtYfHW5wu8Q
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    I don't think you're offended by that Stevo, even I'd have to try really hard to offend you.
  • Stevo_666

I don't think you're offended by that Stevo, even I'd have to try really hard to offend you.

Not me...
  • hopkinb
    edited March 2021
    I'd not be offended, I absolutely loved the show.

That one where the Chinese guy sees him apparently making Hitler salutes, withe bit of tape in the window. Genius. Obviously that's after the scene someone posted above.

I loved the one where Ted bollocksed up the prize raffle car, by 'knocking out a dent", then they had to go and visit the dancing priest.

So much quality.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like this?
    You beat me to it with that clip.

• hopkinb
    It's an offensive impression of a Chinese person that's intrinsic to the absurd story arc though isn't it? Doesn't father Jack end up in SS uniform at one stage?

If it was, for example, Jim Davidson, just the lampshade, the eyes and the voice would be the joke. Punching down, going for a laugh because someone looks and sounds different.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2021
    hopkinb said:

It's an offensive impression of a Chinese person that's intrinsic to the absurd story arc though isn't it? Doesn't father Jack end up in SS uniform at one stage?

If it was, for example, Jim Davidson, just the lampshade, the eyes and the voice would be the joke. Punching down, going for a laugh because someone looks and sounds different.

That's the one, it was all about him trying to prove he wasn't racist but gets thwarted at every turn.

The Speed episode with the bomb on the milk float was a belter as well.

https://youtu.be/54ddapgD1qM
  • hopkinb
    Jeebus, now I am just watching youtube videos of father ted and laughing hysterically. Must do the work thing I have to do instead.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Father Ted series were shown over Christmas period, got some recorded still to watch. Would really have to try hard to take offence. Writer Graham Linehan though in recent years got himself involved in transgender arguments on the soshul meejah. Whatever turns you on.

'Interesting' semi fettle on the sticky freehub. Could not work out how to dismantle bar using the flats on the ends of axle, no locknuts etc. And of course do not have the correct size of open end spanners to attack them. Popped round LBS for some advice, i.e. how on earth do I get this freehub off? Discover that they 99% reckon it's a non-serviceable Shimano, need to take it to pieces to be sure.

Non-servicable? Why TF design something like that? Took it to the H-mob to start the 'it's still under warranty' process. They not sure either from their online specs; ordered up what their system said the bike has, see what's what when part arrives next week. All a bit weird.

Anyway, with all the WD40 etc attacking the gunk, hub less sticky than it was, chain not catching now, will take it out tomorrow and see how much fun ensues.

That all took up most of the afternoon. Catch up on the racing time. And maybe have a beer?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    hopkinb said:

Loved the one where they have to protest over a lewd film and Bishop Brennan tries to blackmail them.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

hopkinb said:

Loved the one where they have to protest over a lewd film and Bishop Brennan tries to blackmail them.
    :smiley: "Down with this sort of thing!"

The old farts footy match was good - 'he's sent the keeper the wrong way....'

https://reddit.com/r/fatherted/comments/fjcpgx/father_romeo_sensini_drinks_only_very_very_fine/
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Ride home not too windy which was a pleasant surprise, dry too, even sunny! Got my cyclescheme voucher today as well, looking forward to ordering a bike and waiting several years for it to be delivered.

Father Jack going to the opticians was another great one, and the Eurovision song contest 'my lovely horse' another classic.

...Graham Norton in the cave.

Hell, they're all great.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    orraloon said:

'Interesting' semi fettle on the sticky freehub. Could not work out how to dismantle bar using the flats on the ends of axle, no locknuts etc. And of course do not have the correct size of open end spanners to attack them. Popped round LBS for some advice, i.e. how on earth do I get this freehub off? Discover that they 99% reckon it's a non-serviceable Shimano, need to take it to pieces to be sure.

Non-servicable? Why TF design something like that? Took it to the H-mob to start the 'it's still under warranty' process. They not sure either from their online specs; ordered up what their system said the bike has, see what's what when part arrives next week. All a bit weird.

What wheel is it?
    Probably mentioned on here that I couldn't get the freehub off the cannondale own brand wheels I had and cannondale didn't even know how or what the hub was.
    The hubs in my prime wheels are similar. Luckily they're the cheap and disposable model.
  • orraloon
    Is a Boardman ADV own brand, off ADV 8.9 21 model. Hub is a Formula RX-142, which LBS reckon is using Shimano parts of the cup and ball type. Formula website is 'kin useless re tech info. Already had a new entire front wheel under warranty as that hub bearing failed, got a Halo as the new one.

The rear bearings are running fine, just the freehub is gunked up. Quite why a design would prevent simple removal to clean and refit?

I really like this bike for what it gives me and the VFM, the wheels are fine just the hubs are keerap. I feel a call with Malcolm OTP is in the offing to up-spec.
  • veronese68
    Try an 11mm allen key 'loon, or more likely a long bolt with an 11mm head and a pair of mole grips. I think it's cup and cone but the freehubs are shite and will have to be replaced.
  • orraloon
    No fit for allen keys. Got the through axle space then all that's grabbable is the flats on either side of the end units, 18-19mm spanner prob, 20 too big as I found out. Hence the LBS guys saying full disassembly is required. Which I didn't want to do, only wanted to clean the freehub, even if I acquired the right size spanners. Pants unit really.

I can see an end result of another full wheel replacement coming under warranty. Quite bizarre.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like this?

I'm not offended, but would it help if I got all offended on behalf of somebody else?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like this?

I'm not offended, but would it help if I got all offended on behalf of somebody else?
    Go for it Bally, or just outsource the job by posting it in Cake Stop?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    orraloon said:

No fit for allen keys. Got the through axle space then all that's grabbable is the flats on either side of the end units, 18-19mm spanner prob, 20 too big as I found out. Hence the LBS guys saying full disassembly is required. Which I didn't want to do, only wanted to clean the freehub, even if I acquired the right size spanners. Pants unit really.

I can see an end result of another full wheel replacement coming under warranty. Quite bizarre.

[Meant to hit the 'Quote']

Serves you right for buying cheap wheels.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    Nah. Good bike. Good VFM. Back last summer when doing the looks around, the ADV 8.9 stood out as bargain, even factoring in getting a set of Malcolm's cycleclinic wheels, still bob on. In reality expected the std wheels to xxxx up in short order, been good given the rough stuff I've put them through and me being a fat barsteward. Shame the hubs are shite.
  • veronese68
    orraloon said:

Ah, yes, didn't think about a through axle. The one I did was on a mates bike that must be 4 years old now and it was quick release. Still shite freehubs though.
  • That Cheshire Cat would be the only cat capable of mating with Schrodinger's cat.