Dressing for rides with slower riders in cooler weather

So I know exactly what to wear when I'm out riding solo or with a group of similarly-paced riders, depending on wind, temperature to within 2 degrees C increments, etc.

Even when it's 5C in winter (I don't generally go out if it's colder) I'll just wear my Castelli Perfetto with a thermal underlayer, legwarmers and shoe covers.

Problem is going out with others who are significantly slower, even in quite mild spring weather, I'll end up borderline hypothermic because my clothing strategy is based on the assumption that I'll at least be riding at a high-endurance / low-tempo pace and generating metabolic heat.

How do you decide how to dress for slower rides (low endurance and below) in cooler weather? Sometimes I've frozen my *rse off even with multiple layers, and it sometimes seems that almost nothing will keep you warm below 12C if you are not putting out a half-decent effort..

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I recently picked up a Castelli Elemento jacket which has proper insualtuion similar to a synthetic mountaineering jacket, not too bulky but it really keeps the heat in when I've been riding in -2 to 7 degree weather. Got a tad hot during hill reps but I think that might help to keep you toasty once you have warmed up. Maybe a light windstoper over the top would help too
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Have you asked faster people who ride with you and get cold?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited March 2021
    You've got a couple of choices I'd say:
    1. Put some big knobbly tyres on your bike, ride on the front of the group and you'll be working just as hard at a lower speed and you'll stay warm
    2. More seriously, you need to just plan for the lower temperature. The Gabba/Perfetto was designed to work well at high intensity efforts, so you may need an alternative top or you may simply need to wear a warm jersey under your perfecto as a third layer, or a wind stopper on top.
  • Stuff a load of newspaper down your top.
  • singleton
    12C is hardly cold though.
    I could cruise around in shorts, base layer and long sleeve jersey and not be freezing at 12C.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    haydenm said:

I recently picked up a Castelli Elemento jacket which has proper insualtuion similar to a synthetic mountaineering jacket, not too bulky but it really keeps the heat in when I've been riding in -2 to 7 degree weather. Got a tad hot during hill reps but I think that might help to keep you toasty once you have warmed up. Maybe a light windstoper over the top would help too

Was wondering about the Alpha Ros - significant step up from the Perfetto?
  • neeb
    singleton said:

I could cruise around in shorts, base layer and long sleeve jersey and not be freezing at 12C.

It's all relative.. Might be fine for a couple of hours when well fed, not so much for four hours in wet and windy weather when tired and a bit hungry...

Also, it's a cliche, but you do feel the cold more as you get older. Especially if you are old and skinny...

• neeb
    MattFalle said:

Have you asked faster people who ride with you and get cold?

When I ride with faster people they usually just drop me (usually on some hill sprint that everybody else knows about in advance..). I only ever ride with evil faster people.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    neeb said:

singleton said:

It's all relative.. Might be fine for a couple of hours when well fed, not so much for four hours in wet and windy weather when tired and a bit hungry...

Also, it's a cliche, but you do feel the cold more as you get older. Especially if you are old and skinny...

Yep exactly I’ve always been bad with the cold and now I’m both old and skinny it’s horrible anything below mid teens and wind chill I can’t cope with at all, mind you I’m happy all days in +40c temps and barely even sweat
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited March 2021
    Alpha ROS jacket is great. I have 2 of the jackets and 2 Alpha jerseys (light) and the jackets are my go to in this weather. You can also pop a rain cape over your Perfetto once you start feeling the cold.

Maybe you also need to keep your extremities warm: decent gloves, boots and overshoes, skull cap etc. I wear chemical toe warmers with boots and overshoes almost every ride during winter and they really make a difference.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you are not going fast when it’s cold, why would you get cold. No wind chill.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    neeb said:

haydenm said:

Was wondering about the Alpha Ros - significant step up from the Perfetto?
    I think so although I've not tried it, the Alpha Ros is rated to lower temperatures than the Elemento I think and has better wind stopping properties. I think the Alpha Ros would be more suitable for what I need but it was an absolute steal at the time.

I have a Gabba which is similar to the perfetto and not got the insulation layer to keep you as toasty
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I'm on my second Endura Classics jersey, great for the circumstances you describe...although when your sweat cools...
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited March 2021
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • singleton
    I've got a stolen goat Orkaan that I rate highly - I've not used my perfecto since I got it.