Perineum pain and numbness

kodiuser4
kodiuser4 Posts: 2
edited March 2021 in Road general
** Edit:I know it's a saddle issue, my question is if you had that kind of pain&numbness and if it has been passed?

Hi
I'm riding my road bike about 2 years.
Lately, as a result of poor saddle setting, I started to feel terrible pain in my perineum, and also numbness, I feel that my sensitivity in my perineum area decreased. I stopped all riding sessions for now.
(I visit the urologist and he told me that it isn't an urologist issue).
Of course, I will continue the medical research, but I wanted to ask if anyone had that kind of an issue, and if it has Improved.
I really concern that the numbness is going to be permanent.
Any review from your experience will be appreciated.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited March 2021
    Hi.

To anyone reading this, first thing I will say is: see a Doctor.

But I will also offer an anecdote. Back in 2017/18 (I think - might have been 2016/17!), I had some pretty scary symptoms (no numbness), which I had checked out really rather thoroughly. Nothing untoward was found.

In initial GP visits, I mentioned that I cycle (a lot!) and it barely raised an eyebrow. I think it's accepted that cycling can cause problems, but nothing long term if we're not talking about the numbness issue.

Once I'd had everything checked, I threw out my Fizik Arione saddles and bought Selle Italia Superflow SLR. I haven't looked back. I am not qualified enough to say there's a link.

So:

1. See a Doctor
    2. Numbness should worry you - it can be a sign of potential lasting damage
    3. I relieved pain (or the timings match!) by changing saddles for one with a huge pressure relief hole.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,402
    Yep had that before. Saddle with a cut out is the way to go if you haven’t tried already. You want to feel your weight on the sit bones, not the soft tissue of the perineum.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    It is very unlikely to be a medical issue, so just play around a bit with saddle position.

The cut outs are fine, but you could also try to find a flat saddle, such as an Antares or a Toupe.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited March 2021
    Also, don't ride with a butt plug.

😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pippi_langsamer-2
    pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2021
    • Get your sit-bones measured,
    • Decide what shape you need- flat, round, somewhere in-between,
    • Decide if you need/ want a short or longer/ standard length saddle.

Measure sit-bones in a shop (Specialized stores have them), or sit on some rolled pastry LOL.

Saddle shape linked to pelvic rotation- generally flatter saddles favour more rotation suited to aggressive riding positions.

Shorter saddles linked to the above- suited to more aggressive, "locked-in", riding positions.

I've tried plenty of saddles over the years- it's a PiTA (excuse the pun), trying, finding swapping saddles on your bikes. Started with Ariones but they became an issue similar to yours, went to Toupe but they broke soo easily. Went to Selle Italia SLR and PRO Stealth to try- favoured the Stealth (or so I thought), but realised after a while that the nose was too wide for me. Ended up where I am now- Prologo Dimensions. Short, semi-flat saddle, similar to the Stealths but narrower nose.
  • elbowloh said:

😉

Hell you're right ... I'll try to remember that 😁
  • seanoconn

It is very unlikely to be a medical issue, so just play around a bit with saddle position.

The cut outs are fine, but you could also try to find a flat saddle, such as an Antares or a Toupe.

Toupe has a cut out.
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

😉

That doesn’t cause numbness or perineum pain 😎
  • First.Aspect
    edited March 2021
    seanoconn said:

Toupe has a cut out.
    I know. The point I was making is way over there -> you see those rounded saddles with cut outs, in the distance?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You just have to find right saddle for you, what works for others might not for you.

There are some stores that have loads of sample saddles you can take home and try, but maybe not in Corona lockdown.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,922
    I'm intrigued that there are a number of posters with knowledge of riding with a butt plug! :#:D
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited March 2021
    Isn’t it more to do with correct saddle width rather than a cut out specifically? My opinion is that if your saddle is too narrow for your sit bones you are not supported correctly, thus your weight is being transferred to your saddle on your perineum.

So I think it’s width first and foremost - if your weight is supported on your sit bones you may not need a cut out. Not saying they don’t work, but if the saddle width is wrong I can see a cutout helping, but not solving your problems.

Once you have the correct width as a starting point, then it comes down to the profile - an almost completely flat saddle will suit some, a more sculpted curve may suit others. Nose width can affect groin ‘chafe’.

So start with correct width - measure the distance between sit bones and use a tape/ ruler to see where this would put your sitbones on a saddle you are considering. Look at the curve of the saddle across its width where the sitbones will be. Is it flatter or more domed? You have to start somewhere, and with the first punt it is a best guess. But if you have the correct width saddle and you are still getting problems, you can now compare what you have with what you are looking to try next. It’s a process of elimination really - you may be lucky straight out of the blocks, but may spend a long time and a lot of money chasing the ideal! At least do it in a structured manner of elimination...

PP
  • First.Aspect

I'm intrigued that there are a number of posters with knowledge of riding with a butt plug! :#:D

This is one for the trivial but intriguing thread, perhaps.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    I'm with PP on this one. Saddle width is important and a reasonable place to start. Saddle angle will be fairly key too. There shouldn't really be any angle to it, definitely not upwards at the nose an no more than a degree or two downwards.
  • Had this once when I did my first long ride with saddle tilted slightly up at the front, all the tackle went numb for a week but did fully recover!
    Made sure saddle was level after that!
  • Are modern saddles a last gasp of toxic masculinity? Get a Brooks! Comfy, no chafing and no padding required. Also aesthetically superior.
  • First.Aspect

Are modern saddles a last gasp of toxic masculinity? Get a Brooks! Comfy, no chafing and no padding required. Also aesthetically superior.

Or better still get a Raleigh Chopper or a recumbent. Then you can cycle in flip flops and board shorts like thedirector135.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I've switched to a Selle SMP Glider which is very different with a large/long cut out and a dropped nose. Had numbness issues on 3hour plus rides and found a SMP saddle on Gumtree locally as the seller said it cut him in half lol. Its a lot better than my flat saddles so you could try that option and pick up try and sell on if they don't suit.