Brake lever bleed port stripped

explorerhaz
explorerhaz Posts: 17
edited March 2021 in MTB workshop & tech
So I stripped the threads on my trp slate t4 brake lever bleed port and now the screw won’t tighten 😤. I know I’m going to have to replace the lever.
I’m just wondering if I should try asking about warranty. Although it’s my fault I was careful screwing the cup into the port and I believe I must have just slightly over tightened the cup. I’d seen another forum where someone managed to get a replacement from shimano for the same mistake in the end. Scary how fragile the threads are.
Also TRP don’t appear to sell replacement levers alone. I don’t want to pay for a new set with the calliper and hose so feel the best way is to buy a second hand lever on eBay?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers.

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    Could try tapping it and putting in a new (slightly bigger) screw but this is hard! I tried on a Shimano and buggered it up, but then it was already buggered so I thought what’s the worse that could happen!
  • @ed1973 cheers for the reply. I had considered that although I’d need to purchase a tapping kit and I wouldn’t easily be able to bleed after doing that. I’ll try the lbs I bought the bike from and see if warranty allows or if they can order the lever alone. Otherwise it’s ebay. I’m still surprised at how delicate the threads were, considering I’m always cautious when bleeding.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    My thoughts on bleeding after I’d tapped it was to fabricate a large volume syringe and take the plunger out, but as I bugger up the tapping process it never needed to do it. New lever is the next best, but it taught me to go very easy when screwing and unscrew that bleed screw as they are so easily threaded.
    PS I also threaded a chain set bolt hole in a rather expensive road crankset! Lesson learned, get a good torque wrench and use it!
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    the torque setting on those things is .3nm..... that's barely even finger tight. I bought a calibrated torque wrench to see what that felt like. it's nothing.

• My son managed to rip his RH brake port cap bolt right out the other day. Have ordered a new lever but I've already tapped the thread and Ebay have lots of suitable short bolts and o-rings. Maybe you could borrow a tap? Not much to lose if you eff it up. Machine Mart will sell you a tap and die set - handy for all sorts. E.g. Had to restart the thread on my derailleur hanger after straightening it, as the bolt is so much harder than the hanger it just folded the start of the thread and then wouldn't engage. Doh. Lesson learnt.