2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    thistle_ said:

orraloon said:

elbowloh said:

orraloon said:

Ps surprisingly found only 2 very old nests throughout, pigeons by the messy look, did expect to see more. And why the heat was on to do the destruction ahead of nesting season.

It's nesting season now...
    Offusshully "nesting season" starts 1st March but... caveat caveat caveat. The onus is on the operative to assess the situation and take appropriate measures to avoid disturbance of nesting birds. Given we've had approx 2 days of sunshine and overnight temps continue to be sub zero there ain't much mating action let alone nesting going on. Es permitado to e.g. fell a tree at any time of the year subject to assessing risk of disturbance: no nesting birds, no worries; nesting birds, stop do not proceed, go immediately to Home. (Got some tickets 'n' quals see)
    Can't cut bushes in nesting season, can't do any more work.
    You can if someone qualified supervises.
    Not paying for that, tree huggers putting us in delay.
    🙄

The council/farmers ripping the hedges to bits around here and leaving the debris all over the road don't seem too bothered about it though.
    Well, i've had my hedges cut by a bloke with tractor as they got too big and my Stihl hedge trimmer can only go through so much. I once had to cut it by hand with loppers (previous farmer was a lazy basket) and I counted just 7 nests on the perimeter - which goes around 1/3rd of an acre. They were getting too tall and spindly (mix of beeches, ewe and Hawthorne).
    This will make them bushier.

Seen hedge weaving in Herefordshire - amazing sight. I think that's Blackthorn(?).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!