Riders on teams you forgot

2»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited March 2021

More FDJ.

That rebellin? I heard he was still riding .
    Yes to the second and it's Phil Gilbert under the mud.
    That photo places it as a year shy of a quarter of a century ago.
    The bloke losing with his head down is Jan Ullrich.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Yeah I recognised ullrich he wore that German champion jersey more than once iirc . They look like they are on some velodrome or something where is that ? Zurich classic or something ... I remember Phil winning the het volk in fdj colours but can't remember rebellin in fdj at all
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

I obviously remember this but I suspect not everyone will
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

Is it too soon?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited March 2021
    As good a thread as any to post this

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

As good a thread as any to post this

It's not correct though. Jos Van Aert is Wout's father's cousin.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Stijn Vandenbergh spend 3 years at Katusha before joining Quickstep.
  • mididoctors
    Contador rode for the postals
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    edited April 2021
    dish_dash said:

Geert Steegmans at Katusha surprised me too
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

dish_dash said:

Geert Steegmans at Katusha surprised me too
    As did Ben Swift
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

wasnt it Discovery Channel by then ?
  • mididoctors
    sherer said:

wasnt it Discovery Channel by then ?
    Yeah you may be right
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    He's still at EF, but I was surprised that TJ Van Garderen was still riding!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    dish_dash said:

It has only taken the commentators about 20 years to realise that he really isn't a contender for the GC...
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Lilian Calmejane... where the hell is he ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

AG2R-Citroen. But he hasn't raced since Tirreno. He's down to start the Mont Ventoux race today.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    andyp said:

AG2R-Citroen. But he hasn't raced since Tirreno. He's down to start the Mont Ventoux race today.
    And was the only DNF on the team.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I always followed his career based on him having done local 10's when he was in the UK.

Sad that that Tour stage win looks like being the zenith rather than the start.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

I always followed his career based on him having done local 10's when he was in the UK.

Sad that that Tour stage win looks like being the zenith rather than the start.

It's the way of French cycling. Win a Tour stage and you can cruise along on fat salaries for the next decade.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 361
    dish_dash said:

He won't be riding for much longer, that's him retiring. Final race this week at the US national champs apparently.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited June 2021
    Rather than start a new thread (and this seemed appropriate as I forgot he was at Bahrain) does anyone know what has happened to Scott Davies? He hasn't raced since the Vuelta last year.

Edit - to answer my own question apparently he had hip surgery earlier this year.
  • andyp
    Pross said:

Rather than start a new thread (and this seemed appropriate as I forgot he was at Bahrain) does anyone know what has happened to Scott Davies? He hasn't raced since the Vuelta last year.

Edit - to answer my own question apparently he had hip surgery earlier this year.

Underlying hip issue that was hoped would be resolved with rest but didn't and required surgery. I hope he can get some races in later in the season.
  • tailwindhome
    edited June 2021
    Spotted this photo in the window display of Irish sports brand O Neills' shop window in Belfast

The only link I can find on line is back to the O'Neills FB page

Anyone know the story here? A promotional thing maybe?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

• Pross
    Roche, Earley and Kelly? Is it just a photo of the Irish trailblazers, maybe the first time they all rose the Tour?
  • tailwindhome
    Found some original photos here

http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1406192/

Seems to have been a track event in Dublin in August 1986
  • Pross
    Irish cycling never really built on that period unfortunately.
  • andyp
    Prompted by @RichN95. post in the WVA thread, I have no recollection of Thor Hushovd riding for BMC, even though he did his last three seasons with them.