Cervelo R3 Replacement

Rod11
Rod11 Posts: 293
edited March 2021 in Road buying advice
I'm wanting to replace my 2013 Cervelo R3 frame. I've had it since new and it's done me well, but I'd like a change. I want to stick with rim brakes but get something with a better bottom bracket (so ideally threaded). Not fussed about aero or carbon, I actually prefer a more traditional frame. I run 25mm tyres (limit of the R3) quite happily so don't need crazy clearance. I've done some crits and TTs in the past, but realistically I'm now just a weekend warrior with some Zwifting mid week.

In terms of options, I'd been thinking about going aluminum - on my short list are the Bowman Palace and Kinesis Aithein. Their geometries are similar-ish to the R3. Any other options like this to consider? And am I crazy going from my Cervelo to a alu bike, even a good one? Thanks

Edit: budget - probably max £1500 but less than £1000 would be great

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2 looks like a nice option with rim brakes

Full details here:-

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-pro-2
  • Rod11
    arlowood said:

It is a good option, I just worry it's a bit too agressive for me, I'm quite short in the body relative to height so I struggle with reach
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    I went from a CAAD12 to a Tarmac SL6 and TBH it's not been a night and day experience in terms of frame material - it's got a lot to do with how the builder uses the material rather than simply the material itself.

Bowman Palace always gets great reviews and have you looked at Condor bikes?
    The Italia RC is an aluminium rim brake frame with 28mm clearance and a BSA bottom bracket.

Condor also do steel frames - not sure if you've considered those.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    arlowood said:

Full details here:-

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-pro-2

2020 model I think so harder to come by but I really like the look of that.

105 groupset so would be a cracking winter bike with maybe swapping the wheels out for non carbon.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    CAAD is always a winner, Bowman is meant to be mega.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I had a CAAD12 which was an absolutely brilliant bike for the money. Wish I still had it cos I much prefer the look of the older Cannondales with the logo on the downtube rather than what they have now.

There's a Bowman on another thread with a similar paintjob to the Giant above that is lovely as well.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Theres only one Bowman paintjob you could ever want and they don't do it any more the silly silly people.

it were so lovely it would have made them millions. that yellow one referenced above is just a yellow bike, nowt special.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Another vote for Cannondale. I just wish they still did Klein inspired paint jobs.
  • First.Aspect
    I have one of these....
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Me too! But in Matte black not blue. Still a fun ride.
  • First.Aspect
    Harry182 said:

Me too! But in Matte black not blue. Still a fun ride.

It is fantastic. I am in Scotland. Bike is in Devon. Urgh.

It is nimble and comfortable, light too. It is a fantastic frame. Great to look at as well with the not quite flat tt.

I have the stock wheels still - was a new old stock buy a couple of years ago - but other than that I reckon it is as nice to ride as my £ahem Kent Eriksen.

I do not believe that any disc braked bike will ever get close to that generation of rim brakes bikes. I've ridden discs since 2009 and they are commuter bikes, end of, and they are all over engineered to compensate for the problems that discs cause. But still feel wooden.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    We're in good company:

(Though not sure Gilberto still has his.)
  • First.Aspect
    Harry182 said:

We're in good company:

(Though not sure Gilberto still has his.)

No, the weights they taped on to it fell off so he can't use it.

Sadly the nude frames oxidize at the carbon/alu interface. I tried to find one in decent condition. No luck.

• Here's my Bowman that others have mentioned above.
    You're certainly not going crazy going from carbon to alu. With a frame like this there's no real reason to need a carbon bike.
    The good thing about the new one is that there is now enough clearance for wider tyres and the handling is just as good if not better than the Palace R.

The other alu frame I was looking at but could never really justify was a Standert Kreissage. The biggest issue currently is supply - they simply don't have any plus Brexit import costs when they do!

.....and one to dream about is anything by Baum
  • Rod11
    That's a good looking Bowman! Definitely good to know it's not a silly decision going to alu. Funnily enough I'd also had a look at Standert!

Also had considered a Caad but not sure I could get the right position on it.