Recommend me some new tyres

I have used Continental gp 4000s tyres for years. These have been replaced by gp 5000 which seem rather expensive. So has anybody got recommendations for similar tyres, I can only go up to a 25.
Thanks.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    Different people have very different experiences and views of what "similar" might mean.
    However, if you're considering a GP5000 as an alternative then I assume you're prioritising something fast and light over something with a lot of puncture resistance. You might want to look at something like a Michelin Power Road, Vittoria Corsa/Corsa control or the Veloflex Corsa race / evo.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited March 2021
    I meant similar to the 4000 as I presume the 5000 is an up grade. I don’t need a super light race tyre. I have Vittoria Rubino pro control on one wheel, which I bought when I needed to replace a tyre quickly. It seems ok but I haven’t ridden it much.
    I was looking for something about £50/£60 a pair rather than £80.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Open paves £25 from wiggle.
    Merlin have corsa G+ with tubes for £65 a pair.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited March 2021
    I use schwalbe one pros ( tubeless) they also make a clincher tyre, I have very few problems with them riding on Lincolnshire’s roads, which are not the best, good puncture resistance as well
    I think you can pick them up for £40 - 45 that’s if anyone as any stock
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-pro-one-evo-folding-tyre?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=103451255&kpid=103451255&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs9Gpqq2W7wIVhO3tCh2cAQ-ZEAQYBCABEgJIOfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    edited March 2021
    Can't vouch for other tyres but I can make you feel less guilty about splashing out on the contis; tyres are an absolutely critical factor in not falling off, so tyres are the one thing I never skimp on.
  • https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-ultra-sport-iii-folding-road-tyre-700c-206751.html supposedly aren't a bad option for under £25 per tyre, not that I've tried them myself.

I've had 25mm and 28mm https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-grand-sport-race-folding-road-tyre-90012.html in recent years, they aren't in the same league as GP4000S IIs or GP5000s, but they are decent rollers that size big (28mm are just under 32mm on 19mm rim).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    webboo said:

I have used Continental gp 4000s tyres for years. These have been replaced by gp 5000 which seem rather expensive. So has anybody got recommendations for similar tyres, I can only go up to a 25.
    Thanks.

I replaced the worn out GP5Ks on my lad's bike with Hutchinson Fusion 5s and I've also got a set on my road bike. V happy with them...
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2021
    Merlin were selling the latest Vittoria Rubino tyres for £20 each, I'm using the tubeless version and they're pretty good.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Have to say that the GP5000s are expensive but I've been really impressed by them - I bought a pair in June last year, they've done about 7000km since then* so about 1p per km for the pair so far - they're starting to look a bit flatter but I reckon they've got another couple of thousand left.

I would agree with Rick's comment - not just in terms of safety but the whole riding experience: better grip, smoother, maybe no objective evidence but faster "feel".

No punctures.

*I am, errr, fairly solid and spend most of my riding life rattling and bouncing round rough country lanes, so I would say my tyres get a harder time than most
  • webboo
    Cheers for the suggestions.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    @webboo I have a pair of GP5000, yours for 50 Inc postage (unless you can collect from Newmarket).

They've been ridden for 2km! I ordered a pair of GP5000TL from wiggle, and they sent me the non TL version. Fitted them and rode round the block before realising I'd been sent the wrong tyres when they didn't hold air, even with sealant. The tyres have been washed in an attempt to remove the sealant, only very small bits of dried sealant remain.

PM me if you want them.
  • webboo
    Too late I’m afraid I went for a pair of the same from Probike for 70 quid with free postage.
    Thanks for the offer though.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited March 2021
    webboo said:

Too late I’m afraid I went for a pair of the same from Probike for 70 quid with free postage.

I think they're worth spending the extra ~£20 on, I was impressed with how my 23mm and 25mm felt when I ordered them last summer.

Worth noting that Merlin have the 32mm (that apparently size up a little small so should fit my Cube Attain GTC) and it's cheaper to buy the bundle with tubes for £74.95... If you add something small to basket and then use a £5 discount voucher.
    Think I'm going to order a pair of 32s myself, I swear the South Downs lanes I rode last weekend felt harsher than last year! :D

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    I looked at that Merlin offer but they didn’t have the inner tubes in stock just the ones you had to pay extra for.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I changed over from GP4000 to Michelin Pro4 Endurance and like them a lot. £25 each from Decathlon in either 23mm or 25mm.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/pro4-endurance-road-bike-tyre-700x25c/_/R-p-X8363657?mc=8363657

• d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    flasher said:

I changed over from GP4000 to Michelin Pro4 Endurance and like them a lot. £25 each from Decathlon in either 23mm or 25mm.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/pro4-endurance-road-bike-tyre-700x25c/_/R-p-X8363657?mc=8363657

Be aware that the 25mm sizes up quite big. They're closer to 28mm on my rims.

My favourite tyre. They give a nice balance of performance, speed and puncture protection.

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I like them too, but I don't think they are in Michelins line-up any more, so buy them up while you can get them.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have spares :wink: